SYOS

Dancing in the moonlight

twowheels

Caz, how close were you to your recording mic? To my ears, it sounds like you need to move the bell of your sax closer to the microphone....a lot of ambient sound from the space where you are playing. That said, I like your tone and rhythmic approach, you stayed nicely on tempo with the soundtrack (it's soundtrack or recording, right?). You used an airy, almost subtone-like approach instead of a strong focused tone and I liked it, in line with the laid-back nature of the tune.

Reactions: Caz
OP
Caz

Caz

I'm fairly close to the mike. I think the ambient sound you are hearing is comming from the ventilation which is fairly audible. I'm aiming for a more round and warm sound - and a sound that blends more with the recording. I use a bit of reverb and a bit of delay but not much. I have tried to turn the dials and knobs on the EQ settings - but i'm still working on my sound being more integrated into the mix - instead of now, where it's obvious that sax has been added afterwards.

My setup is; condenser microphone, focusrite audio interface (run-of-the-mill quality)

twowheels

Gotcha, Caz...I like your tone, that's why I want to hear more of it in the forefront. :) I know what you mean, I have a nice Zoom recorder but was never satisfied with the recording; similar to what you're working with, the backing track was either in the forefront of the soundscape or the sax WAY overpowered the mics. Recently I've just been using my iPhone voice recorder and it works well.

It sounds like your set-up is fine. FWIW, it sounds like you have a full/round tone to me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Caz
OP
Caz

Caz

Thx for responding - someone on reddit suggested reducing the Eq 600-1k to get the "honk" out.
Also thanks for the compliment.

Ivan

Undecided
Sounds like fun

I really like the snippet when you follow the organ and the improvisation that follows

You could put a touch of reverb on the backing track to blend, and the sax could be a tad further forward in the mix

OP
Caz

Caz

Thx haven’t considered changing the backingtrack itself. Good point

Profusia

Sax definitely needs to come forward, more so in some places than others, but generally over all I'd say personally. Sounds a little like possibly recorded in a smallish and untreated room. Mic placement (closer) might help. Enjoyed the improvisation!

Top Bottom