All profit supporting   special needs music

Dan Higgins

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Came across Dan Higgins seven years ago whilst looking for versions of "When Sonny Gets Blue". His alto version in a quartet - with Keyboard, Bass & Drums really knocked me out. Very melodic and lyrical lines, clean graceful and expressive. Worth a listen for "BOTM" fans and more. There are two shortened download MP3 versions of tracks from his "Voicing a Standard" album on his website with downloadable .pdf's of the alto solos at http://www.danhiggins.net/cd.html
The whole album is available on iTunes, bin listening to it a lot since my four year hiatus in the doldrums - gruss - spike

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Monster player !

Great tone and incredibly fluent playing. And great time too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rhys

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Let me say first that I love Dan Higgins playing on John Williams soundtrack of Catch Me If You Can, and the big band recordings of him playing lead alto. There is no one better in my opinion. That said, I was a bit disappointed in his album in that all of the tunes sounded much the same with even 8th notes and the Fender Rhodes sound on every tune. Dan's playing is delicious throughout, but I would have liked a bit more variety.

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Hi jbt, there's also an old wurlitzer on there. Anyhow - know what you mean. Disregard the 16th and 32nd note runs although if you slow them down they are immaculate. His quarter and 8th etc. note phrases and runs as they weave from chord to chord, I can't think of a better word than to quote your post: delicious.

Last edited:

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
That's what an alto should sound like. Thanks Spike I shall look out some more.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom