All profit supporting   special needs music

Reeds D'addario Venn Gen 2 Synthetic Reeds

G

greenstripe

Locality
UK
Anyone tried the new D'addario Venn Gen 2 reeds?

As widely reported the first generation were plagued with quality control issues - this is the new 2nd generation which has had the issues sorted apparently.

I've taken the plunge and bought one and so far spent an hour playing it first thought is that it is extremely hard for a 2.0 but it sounds great - time will tell as to whether I can make the leap to a reed this hard. looking at the chart below they do say that they're harder than most other brands

Venn Chart

G

greenstripe

Locality
UK
Here's some photos alongside the new Yamaha ASR 2.5 and Legere American Cut 2.0, size wise very similar to the legere (the Yamaha has a longer Vamp)
IMG 20220420 172659
IMG 20220420 172718
IMG 20220420 172755

Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Ah, non-intersecting sets... Ø...

I've bought one for my tenor but not tried it yet.

sunsetandlabrea

sunsetandlabrea

Locality
UK
I bought a new generation Venn 2.5 for Tenor, I have tried it and didn't like it very much. I thought it was quite hard, but that wasn't the reason I didn't like it. Too bright for me and I just didn't like the tone.

Trying synthetic reeds is an expensive business.

Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
We've been a bit baffled why they've graded so bizarrely tough and also used a non-standard numbering system. Odd

TootSweet

TootSweet

Locality
Evilard Switzerland
I got a Venn 2.5 for alto today and played it for a moment. Plays nicely. It's a bit on the bright size, but that could change once I'm used to it. The strengths is like a Select Jazz 2H or 3S.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Yes I did (tenor)
As did @David Roach
I will write something in the future (keep in mind that I am a D'Addario endorser) but so far the feeling is "great sound but I am not used to synthetic reeds"
I need some more practice on it

I got a Venn 2.5 for alto today and played it for a moment. Plays nicely. It's a bit on the bright size, but that could change once I'm used to it. The strengths is like a Select Jazz 2H or 3S.
Same here

David Roach

David Roach

Locality
London
Yes I did (tenor)
As did @David Roach.....................
I received Venn tenor and alto in both 2.0 & 2.5. I'm not a D'Addario endorser and have mainly used Vandoren reeds over the years. However, on a brief play I liked the Venn more than I did the Legere (which I reviewed here).

I play Pillinger mouthpieces, A6M on alto, NYT 7*I and 7*W on tenor.
Venn are very even tonally indeed over the entire range of the sax and have excellent intonation: they do those two things with less effort than a cane reed. However, I found the 2.5 to be harder to actually play than a 3S Select Jazz (which it proposes to match), in fact more like a 3M or H on both instruments. For me, the Venn #2 worked better on both.

There is something different from a cane reed about the Venn's balance between resistance to embouchure and resistance to breath pressure. For instance, I use a #3 Java on tenor most of the time: this reed puts up less resistance to my lip, but requires a bit more air than the Venn. This effect is less noticeable on alto for me. The Venn supports the altissimo very well but makes the extreme lower register more resistant.

Unfortunately, at the time I received the Venns I was, and still am, recovering from a root canal on one of my front teeth. This means that I can't really play for any length of time. In fact I'm taking a complete break for the next few weeks to allow the tooth to settle down. So, my impressions are very brief indeed, but I can honestly say that so far, these are the best synthetics I've tried, and on tenor especially, I vastly prefer them to Legere. That said, getting back to a cane reed again was a real pleasure!

Last edited:
Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I have previously used Legere Signature. I got on with it OK, but the tip split and it became unusable. Given the price of them, I was a bit disappointed about that.

I have got a Venn 2.5 for the tenor. Tried it yesterday, it wasn't quite a plank, but it was VERY stiff for a 2.5, too stiff for me at the moment.

Last edited:
sunsetandlabrea

sunsetandlabrea

Locality
UK
I have got a Venn 2.5 for the tenor. Tried it yesterday, it wasn't quite a plank, but it was VERY stiff for a 2.5, too stuff for me at the moment.
Pretty much same experience. Doesn't look like they do a 2.25, and they don't do an exchange offer like legere which is a real shame.

jazzdoh

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
I have ordered an alto Venn 2 today, interested to see how it compares to the Legere AM.

Mark Hancock

Mark Hancock

Café Supporter
Locality
Zurich
I've just been trying out the Venn 2 on the tenor, and I really like it. I normally play Legere American Cut 2.25 and the Venn 2 seems a bit stiffer. It feels quite close to the Legere AC 2.5 (which I also have, but don't normally play it).
In comparison to the Legere, I'd say the Venn is a little richer in tone, not as focused, and not quite as bright. For me personally, it seems like it might be better than the Legere for the straight ahead standards and ballads. Need to try it out a bit more, but so far looks good. :)
So far only tried on Drake NYJ 6: (0.100" / 2.54mm).

jazzdoh

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
I quite like mine too, not sure whether it will take over my Legere's AC 2 on alto and I need some more time on it.
The Venn I have which is a 2 is similar in strength to the Legere AC 2, maybe a fraction harder but really nothing between them that I can tell.
Sound is brighter and a little harsher with the Venn on alto for me but then this might change over time and use.
Overall a good reed.

SaxDon

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
Loving this reed so far. Bought a 2 tenor and it feels more like a 3 so bear that in mind. This is the only synthetic I’ve tried on my Durga mpc that sounds like a cane reed . Reed placement can make a big difference to timbre and hardness of the reed.

Richard@D'Addario

Richard@D'Addario

Locality
Newcastle
Hi everyone, couple of updates for you all. There is an updated strength comparison chart on the D'Addario website (listed below). VENN does run on the harder side of each strength which is something to bear in mind when finding the ideal strength for you.
We also have an alternate strength exchange program if needed.
Feel free to get in touch with any VENN questions!

- Strength Chart: https://www.daddario.com/globalasse...daddario_venng2_strength_chart_sax_8.5x11.pdf

- Alternate Strength Program: VENN Alternate Strength Program

Thanks, Rich

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
My new Venn tenor reed split after a very short time playing, but D'Addario and Dawkes have arranged to replace it with no fuss.

sunsetandlabrea

sunsetandlabrea

Locality
UK
@Richard@D'Addario That is really great news about the exchange program.

SaxDon

SaxDon

Café Supporter
Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
That is great news. Best synthetic reeds I’ve tried by a long shot, I have to say

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom