support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

D2 squeaking and problem making it sound

Hallelujahal

Locality
Preston, Lancs
Hi folks just got my old alto out and am having a helluva problem getting fourth line D to sound?Every other note fine D1 is perfect, but minute I switch to upper octave the upper D just either doesn’t sound or squawks an overtone... my family are probably making plans to kill me if I don’t get this thing sorted soon and my dog has started to give me aggrieved looks!
Any thoughts and suggestions as to fixes will be gratefully received?
Al

Finger G and hit the thumb octave key hard several times while watching the neck octave pad. It should not lift or bounce. If it does it is either out of adjustment or the neck is turned to the wrong orientation. You can also check to see if there is about a 1.5 mm space between the neck octave ring and the post that extends from the saxophone.

If this is the case, you can remove the neck and place your thumb between the ring and the neck tenon. Then very carefully bend the neck key down slightly. Put it on the saxophone and check the clearance and then do the thumb key hit test.

If you went too far when fingering G to A with the octave key pressed the neck octave pad won't open. When this happens remove the neck and put a tongue depressor or wooden craft stick under the pad and very carefully push the ring toward the neck to bend it back. Then check again. Sometimes it takes some back and forth to get the adjustment just right. When you go from G to A and back with the thumb key pressed, the body octave and neck octave should alternate.

Last edited:
Also, check that the body octave pad actually lifts when you press the octave lever. The pad could be sticky.
\Bo

Also, check that the body octave pad actually lifts when you press the octave lever. The pad could be sticky.
\Bo
Hi just checked this morning and no to both: no the pad isn’t sticking and no it’s not lifting up when thumb octave key depressed????
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks , Al

Finger G and push the octave key. Does the body pad lift now? Does the neck pad lift?

Fingered G (which sounds disgusting)
And neck pad still lifts but not body octave keypad.

Any idea where I should looking as I can’t see any broken springs??
853C3CBD-0E6F-4D34-A4DE-E13C4902CE1A.jpeg
5DC4B29B-8E00-4792-9D09-AE7F30149063.jpeg

Ok so the only solution I’ve managed to find to persuade the octave body key to open is to back the adjustment screw right out probably sticking out now by about 1/4” which is not right I know. But at least it plays now!
F84C60C3-2AC0-4587-B420-61D309E8B39B.jpeg

An easy way to check if the octave mech is bent is to give that screws a few turns. As you do so, keep an eye on the keywork to see if it rises and falls as you turn the screw. If it does then either the keys or the rod screw is bent - or more likely both.
It doesn't mean the mech might not work - but it may be dependent on the screw being in a specific position. It also means that there's a chance the screw will move and slow/lock the mech up. So it's something that needs fixing, but not necessarily immediately.

An easy way to check if the octave mech is bent is to give that screws a few turns. As you do so, keep an eye on the keywork to see if it rises and falls as you turn the screw. If it does then either the keys or the rod screw is bent - or more likely both.
It doesn't mean the mech might not work - but it may be dependent on the screw being in a specific position. It also means that there's a chance the screw will move and slow/lock the mech up. So it's something that needs fixing, but not necessarily immediately.

Hi Stephen and thanks for your kind advice, I’ve backed the screw out to a point where the body octave key works as it should, if I tighten it any further than you can see on the picture below it stops and only the crook key opens. Would you say that I’d need to get the mech replaced? It’s a only an Earlham Series II alto...or would it be possible to purchase/replace the rod screw? Kind regards, Al

No need to replace anything. The mech needs taking apart and the keys straightened, as well as the rod. Very common job. May even be a while-you-wait job if you catch your repairer at the right time.
Looks to me like the screw is hardly engaging any threads at all when the mech works - so it's a problem that needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Fixed, thanks to everyone! Now the rest of the problems I have with this sax can be laid at the feet of user error! ‍♂️