support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

D.S. al Coda

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
This is in my newest lesson. Since I lack an actual teacher I think I should ask here to make sure I am following my instruction correctly.

If I follow. I play the piece as normal until I hit the bar with D.S. al Coda, at this point I move back to the bar with the tilted "S" with a line through it and play till I hit the bar with the little cross mark. After this, I move to the bar with CODA written over it and progress from there.

My book is taking a bit of a step up here. It is also getting rid of specific articulation instructions leaving most of it up to the player to decide. I am really excited, but I figure a bit of clarity is always a help.

Thanks,
What

If I follow. I play the piece as normal until I hit the bar with D.S. al Coda, at this point I move back to the bar with the tilted "S" with a line through it and play till I hit the bar with the little cross mark. After this, I move to the bar with CODA written over it and progress from there.
Yep!

Thanks. I suddenly feel like I am moving into a bit of a deeper level of musical understanding at this point in the book as the next few chapters are a bit more about musical structure and improvisation. It's very exciting, a bit intimidating, but in that good way that just makes you want to meet it head on.

You are correct. Another common marking is D.C. al Coda which means to go back to the beginning and take the coda. Da Capo is Italian for the "head" or "beginning". A significant part of learning to read music is learning the terminology which is often Italian, but not always depending on the origin of the music.

Thanks indeed.

I thought it was another TV series about Detective Sergeant Fred al Coda.

You are correct. Another common marking is D.C. al Coda which means to go back to the beginning and take the coda. Da Capo is Italian for the "head" or "beginning". A significant part of learning to read music is learning the terminology which is often Italian, but not always depending on the origin of the music.

For what it matters, D.S. is for "dal segno", from the "sign", not necessarily "S" shaped.

Other useful musical terms include "rallentando" (=slowing down) and "un litro di vino rosso della casa, per favore" (=2.11 US pints oh house red wine, please)

There's also D.C. al Fine - where Fine menas finish here. So go to the start of the piece and play as far as the word Fine.

There's also D.C. al Fine - where Fine menas finish here. So go to the start of the piece and play as far as the word Fine.

If you fail to do it, you get a fine, but it's fine. (Da kapow al feenay)

I've been up and down this thread 4 times now. It says DS al Coda at the start but I can't find the sign or the coda and am getting bored going round in circles. I'm off to practice the Larger from Bass Charringtons Yeast and Hops suite

On re-reading the thread I was struck by the lack of symbols like segno: Segno.png which is the start of a repeat controlled by the instruction to return to the segno. somewhere in here should be either a coda sign or an 'al coda' instruction so that we miss out the bits we shouldn't repeat so jump from the coda sign to the coda coda.png so just to make sure (by repetitions) D.S. al Coda

coda.png The preceding target was, of course, the coda sign. If you got here after reading the 'which is....' twice, you've got it, so we can finish off the post now. Yes, I've got a couple of big codas, but I couldn't find anything smaller, honest... Here endeth the coda.

For what it matters, D.S. is for "dal segno", from the "sign", not necessarily "S" shaped.

Other useful musical terms include "rallentando" (=slowing down) and "un litro di vino rosso della casa, per favore" (=2.11 US pints oh house red wine, please)

I've looked hard but I can't find the "un litro di vino rosso...." marking in my theory books. It ought to be mandatory.

What, you will find the other markings and lots more indispensible stuff in a basic theory book like the UK Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) AB Guide to Music Theory Part 1. There may be a US equivalent or you should be able to get that book in the States. If not you can buy it on line in USD at http://shop.abrsm.org/shop/prod/Taylor-Eric-The-AB-Guide-to-Music-Theory-Part-I/598230.

Agree re the AB music guides parts 1 and 2. They're cheap as well about £6 ~ $9

My book is taking a bit of a step up here. It is also getting rid of specific articulation instructions leaving most of it up to the player to decide.

Hope you don't mind me asking - which book are you working with please?

Mel

Hope you don't mind me asking - which book are you working with please?

Mel

I am using "John O'Neill's Jazz Method for Saxophone" I am loving it. I keep mixing how I am learning this new Piece. Total staccato some times, a bit of legato a lot of legato, different points for phrasing different dynamics.It's great. Admittedly I am probably not helping myself learn the tune very well messing about like that, but I am willing to take a bit of a pause here and just enjoy myself. I've put in about three hours of practice today and I keep picking up the sax and playing a bit here and there when the mood strikes. I should probably give the old boy a good cleaning after today.

The song is on page 31. It sounds so much more like a song then just playing part of the melody of a full tune. It really feels like I might be on my way to playing some of those songs I love so much (May Sonny Rollins never be near when I attempt this, he might take my sax away:)) The next chapter get really interesting with improvisation tips and so forth I might slow down in progression a bit, but this is getting better and better every day.

I am using "John O'Neill's Jazz Method for Saxophone" I am loving it. I keep mixing how I am learning this new Piece. Total staccato some times, a bit of legato a lot of legato, different points for phrasing different dynamics.It's great. Admittedly I am probably not helping myself learn the tune very well messing about like that, but I am willing to take a bit of a pause here and just enjoy myself. I've put in about three hours of practice today and I keep picking up the sax and playing a bit here and there when the mood strikes. I should probably give the old boy a good cleaning after today.

The song is on page 31. It sounds so much more like a song then just playing part of the melody of a full tune. It really feels like I might be on my way to playing some of those songs I love so much (May Sonny Rollins never be near when I attempt this, he might take my sax away:)) The next chapter get really interesting with improvisation tips and so forth I might slow down in progression a bit, but this is getting better and better every day.

Sounds good! I've had it on my Amazon Wish List for a while, but I do already have the Hal Leonard Jazz Saxophone book/cd. I haven't started on it yet though, keep working through the Abracadabra Book, plus the Scales and Arpeggios for Saxophone, and a book of Saxophone Studies. I also have the pieces to learn and improve from the training band I attend as well, so that gives me practice with the playing of parts of the whole. Another mental block I guess of 'must learn traditionally before moving onto the Jazz'? Ho hum, I have been indoctrinated to stick to rules far too well!

Rebel! Rebel! I must rebel!

Mel