All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

D# - Eb

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Zannie, the basic rule is that each scale has A,B,C,D,E,F,G and each letter occurs only once. It can be sharp or flat instead of natural. So in the scale of C#, C is already taken. And the note below it has to be B. As it's a full tone from B to C#, the B must be sharpened to get the semi tone up to C#, hence it's B# and not C.

It's a natural consequence of us using a scale as the base of our music, and the scale has unevenly spaced notes.

Confusing at first, but much more logical as you play more and in different keys.

zannie

Oh I know, my point is I thoroughly agree with the poster I quoted - if I'm playing/singing something in a certain key, if the wrong enharmonics are used it scrambles my brain, especially if it's something I'm sightreading/learning because it helps you understand where the piece is going. An F# in a Db piece when it should be a Gb would be most discombobulating.

Dibbs

Sometimes it can get ridiculous. I came across this weird attempt at correctness a while ago. Note how the G# on the F7#9 changes to Ab on the Bb7.

hefalump.jpg

jbtsax

Subscriber
Sometimes it can get ridiculous. I came across this weird attempt at correctness a while ago. Note how the G# on the F7#9 changes to Ab on the Bb7.

View attachment 10842
I would have considered it wrong if it had not been written that way. Music is written to be harmonically correct, not for the convenience of the player. :)

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter

View attachment 10842

That looks wrong, I would have Ab all the way through. It's a blues, the obvious thing is to have a flattened 3rd.

In this case I would have that chord symbol as a F7 - there is no need to have an extansion because that is the melody.

But if youm do have an extension then b10 is better in this case than #9 - especially now that Mr Aebersaold has broken the chord symbol system and made everyone thing that when you have a #9 then you automatically have a # or b 5, patently not the case in a simple blues like this one.

BTW, @Dibbs what is that tune (rif) called? Iyt's like the Austin Powers riff but I wonder if it preceded that. I'd be interested to know.

Top Bottom