support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner D down to B

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Ok,here's the question is it easier to go from D,6 fingers plus octive key,to B index finger on a tenor or an alto_On the alto I can get the D but when I change to the B it all goes pear shaped very quickly.On the tenor on the other hand it seems to be easier to play.Just interested if the two sax's are different.

Thanks

Chris

Shouldn't be any different. But you'll need a touch more breath support on the tenor. Are you trying to do this legato? What do you mean by pear shaped? extra notes, or it just doesn't blow?

Ok,here's the question is it easier to go from D,6 fingers plus octive key,to B index finger on a tenor or an alto_On the alto I can get the D but when I change to the B it all goes pear shaped very quickly.On the tenor on the other hand it seems to be easier to play.Just interested if the two sax's are different.

Thanks

Chris

You seem to answer your own question Chris ...

If you think you can't...Blow harder.. ;}

I don't find it any different when I switch between Alto n Tenor mate ...

Hope that helps ...

Kev,I end up with extra notes as if I am blowing to hard.Each note is being tongued.If I play each note on its own I don't seem to have a problem it's just when in the context of a song that something seems to go wrong on the alto.Mind oyu after only 10 days its more than likely down to me..

Sunray,The fact you find it no different does help as it gives me something to think about..
Thanks to the pair of you

Cheers Chris

Try doing it slowly. Play the D, pause, then the D again. Concentrate and feel how you need to blow it on the alto, to get it stable and clean. Think about lip pressure, position of mouthpiece (angle/depth), finger pressure, breath support... Relaxing. How long can you hold the D steady. Then do the same for the B. Then go slowly from one to the other. Count five between each, thinking about what you're doing. It should be there soon. Then speed up. Watch your fingers as well. You could be lifting them in sequence instead of together.

I find alto more challenging than tenor, which is such a lovely relaxed blow. But I've played nothing but Alto since Xmas and it's making a huge difference.

Back to tenor this weekend for me, repad should be finished by then!

Cheers Kev thanks for taking the time..

Chris

Just interested if the two sax's are different.

Not in that respect. It could be a leak on the alto, or just that you are using a relatively different mouthpiece/reed.

Can be down to something amiss in the octave mechanism as well that means one of the octave pips is not being closed firmly. Might be worth having the horn checked over by a technician.

Hi guys thanks for taking the time to answer..Kev I think you hit the nail on the head(ouch).slow down and don't rush/get tense etc..So over the past couple of days nice and slow was the order of the day..steady long tones really trying to feel the note..To that end I ended up not putting thr mpc in as far( only very slightly)and up to now there has been an improvement..Onwards and upwards..untill the next question..
Once again thanks to all who answered..

Cheers,

Chris.

:welldone:mrcool:welldone

Whenever I start struggling (and it's often), my wife tells me to slow down, break it into small pieces, get them right and then put them together. Works really well. Trick is to do it before you get frustrated.....