support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones customs charges

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
OMG I just did a duty calculation for getting a sax in from the US - it seems for the value of the sax plus shipping & insurance I will be stung for £123 on top of the cost of the sax. That's totally ridiculous!! So disappointing for me I've not made the purchase :(
Anyone else had this sort of experience?

Yup,

The first time was a huge shock. I have bought saxes and accessories since then, knowing what the duty would be and, although it is very unpleasant, it can still work out cheaper than buying here in good old Britain.

I have had a couple of nice surprises where a package came through directly without me having to pay duty or paying a lot less than I expected, but I don't know why.

There are quite a few threads here about just this subject.

It's good when you get something from inside the EU and there is no further duty to pay. But our European prices do tend to be significantly higher than the US.

Rhys

OMG I just did a duty calculation for getting a sax in from the US - it seems for the value of the sax plus shipping & insurance I will be stung for £123 on top of the cost of the sax. That's totally ridiculous!! So disappointing for me I've not made the purchase :(
Anyone else had this sort of experience?

Did you check this out:

http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?7847-UK-Customs-charges

VAT only on merchandise £15 and up
VAT only on personal gifts £40 and up (that one is new to me)
VAT + duty on all items £135 and up

VAT in UK is 20%, Duty is 4% (???)

we pay now 21% VAT + 5% duty (depends ....) and last but not least , couriers or post charge “ handling through customs” .......varying :(

I buy mostly in the UK (not only saxophones.......hats, shoes and some clothing items), but prices in the USA are very much lower so, despite the charges, it is mos of the times still worth it

I bought a replacement neck for an old baritone from USA, paid ~£50 on eBay, customs charge was another £25 on top (plus a few hours driving & petrol costs to the depot).
And then its ORIGINAL neck falls out of the bell as my repairman has it on his bench.......

I made a purchase over £135 actual cost from UK to Greece, some days ago, books, reeds, and a mouthpiece, well the cost of shipping 25£, and VAT another 40 £ added to the actual cost. Draw your comparison as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no custom charges between Greece and the UK!

You paid the British VAT, which is correct if you buy in Britain residing in Greece.

I too pay VAT at the level that is set in each country of the EU if I shop in the EU.

In Greece this is 23% now, while it was 21%. In the Netherlands it was 19% and is 21% now.

When you buy outside the EU the tax office levies the VAT, then, if applicable, you pay import (not applicable within EU) , there is no handling through custom charges between Greece and UK because there is no custom to be gone through.

hi All, thanks. I will check things out further. I only went on one website. I missed the saxophone as the reserve was $600 and costs on top of that. I would have stretched myself too far - and then, how do I know if it's all perfect when I receive it, ie: getting bumped in transit. I decided not to take the risk but I don't want to rule out buying from other countries because of this :)

there is no custom charges between Greece and the UK!

You paid the British VAT, which is correct if you buy in Britain residing in Greece.

I too pay VAT at the level that is set in each country of the EU if I shop in the EU.

In Greece this is 23% now, while it was 21%. In the Netherlands it was 19% and is 21% now.

When you buy outside the EU the tax office levies the VAT, then, if applicable, you pay import (not applicable within EU) , there is no handling through custom charges between Greece and UK because there is no custom to be gone through.

I think i was crystal clear....i wrote shipping cost! , and VAT cost! I didn't mention i was charged any extra cost!

I thought the thread was about buying outside one country or economic zone (the EU) and paying Custom Charges.......it is titled “ Custom Charges "after all

True, maybe it's because i am greek, we pay all kind of taxes these days, for just about everything, and they are planning to tax even the air we breathe and when i saw "customs", you know, i felt sentimental, i said omg, another soul is paying again, so i posted, wrongly....ok...we don't have customs in greece from uk, but soon when we get out of this union hopefully, maybe i will post the new customs to greece then:)
Good afternoon!
Ted

Not really - the government sets the rates of tax/import duty. The customs guys are just paid to collect it. Doing their job....

I never mentioned who it was.My grumble is just having to pay it.Another case of robbing us,well i think so.If i see someting cheaper abroad or i buy something i cant get here why should i be charged tax/import duty.

well, duty is jut a form of taxation, we pay many taxes for many reasons. Nobody likes paying taxes but we all enjoy the services that are paid with taxation (some of us , the civil servants, ow their salaries to taxation) and if you stop for a moment and think how much those services cost, you will see that most of us don’t get a bad deal out of it. Some get a worse deal because they earn a lot of money and some get a better deal because they earn less.

We all know that if we need a trauma helicopter because of a car crash we will get one and that the whole operation won’t cost you a penny, although it costs a fortune to run it in general and in particular for the accident that might involve you. The same goes for countless other things that we take for granted and that are not free although they cost us little or nothing.

I don’t like paying taxes, like anybody else, however my father used to say that if you do pay income tax you have done well and made money, if you don’t you have done very badly.

First of all the largest chunk of tax you pay is the Value Added tax or VAT. That tax you pay on everything you buy or sell and it amounts to a sales tax.

It is by far the largest amount of tax that any of us pays in Europe (it varies quite a bit because is not a tax levied by Europe but it is levied from each national government) and it is a tax that one pays on anything that we buy and is not progressive so, 21% tax on a saxophone is 21% of is cost regardless whether you, the buyer are rich or poor.

Some items are taxed at a very low tariff (because we all need them like some basic food items or because especially the less rich need them or because the country wants to support their use, like books or theatre tickets ) some, like luxury cars or jewels or fur coats. are taxed at a higher tariff.

Anyway, if you run a company, you don’t pay VAT tax when importing but you will charge it if you sell this item.

Incidentally, in the UK, strangely enough, you pay VAT also when you as a private person sell an item at an auction (but not on ebay) and VAT is paid both from the person selling that the person buying.

The import tax is paid only if you buy something outside the EU.

If you buy an item from the EU you do pay (if the item is new) VAT to the vendor of the country where the goods come from, he will pay the VAT to his state. You don’t pay VAT for secondhand items if sold by a private seller, you do if they are sold via a shop which sells second hand.

Import tax is levied from certain countries outside of the EU and applies different percentages depending on the type of goods.

Often is a rather low percentage, and some countries don’t have a tax if the item is in parts or is secondhand.

It is worth investigating this particular thing if you import either.

Back
Top Bottom