All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Custom Shop Finish

Littlewailer

Hey,

Just thought I'd post a photo of my horn since I've done the Delacquer work and beefed up the engraving.

When I got it it was fairly plain looking. A shame since it plays so well.

I took the lacquer off with a green dish pad.

Bolded the Engraving with a tiny flat head screw driver. (If you are gasping don't worry. I was careful......ish)

What do you think?

Attachments

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Looks good (at a distance). Do you intend to keep it polished and how does it match with the keys and rest of the horn? To me doesn't matter waht a horn looks like as long as it sings.

Littlewailer

Yeah,

I was going for a two tone "vintage" kind of look.

That's why I opted to only do the inside of the bell so the engraving could still Pop.

Vintage but shiny is the idea.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Don't live on a busy traffic corner or you will spend the rest of your life polishing.

navarro

Hi Little I like the vintage look. this might apear a stupid question I know that laquer is there to stop oxidation but what else does it do? Regds.N.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not keen on 'distressed' furniture and I like my saxes to look nice and shiny. Weird I know. For an extra £500 I could have bought my new Chinese cello last year with a distressed ("antiqued") finish. I declined.

Littlewailer

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not keen on 'distressed' furniture and I like my saxes to look nice and shiny. Weird I know. For an extra £500 I could have bought my new Chinese cello last year with a distressed ("antiqued") finish. I declined.
To each there own.

Littlewailer

Hi Little I like the vintage look. this might apear a stupid question I know that laquer is there to stop oxidation but what else does it do? Regds.N.
Hey Navarro,

I other than make it shiny I don't really know what purpose lacquer has.

It makes it shiny and protects it from wear. Some techs use lacquer or shellac to seat pads.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom