support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Curiosity about Otto Links STM for Tenors

freddysilk

Before I start, I just want to make it known that I do not have GAS but a curiosity about the different makes of moderm Otto Link Metal Pieces. I've already tested the regular STM for Tenor and didn't care for it eventhough it had a nice lush sound.

Now I see a Otto Link NY for Tenor, along with a Vintage Otto Link STM For Tenor on a sax mouthpiece page. If anyone has played the later two, what are the differences between the tones, and it the stuffiness/airyness still there.

Again, I don't have GAS at the moment except for a little to maybe try Pete's PPT mouthpiece when my money is right. However, how many Otto Link STM versions will come out and will they all be stuffy and airy without any refacing done to them?

Yup- The New York has a bigger chamber size and the vintage still bigger than that- in practical terms this means they sound progressively darker/ more bass heavy. There's a booming sort of quality to the bottom end of the New York models where as the vintage hsd a huge, but very mellow type of tone to it (good for lester young impressions)...

Otto Link Differences

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try them out myself since i want to play some lush ballads and subtone. Unfortunately, every music store in my area only carry the regular Otto Link STMs and not the others so maybe I should just put that idea on hold for now.

Get a Barone Jazz if you want a superior version of the Link NY model to which you refer. I've tried the new STM, also the Link RG in both gold and silver, and the RG 108 HR, which wasthe best of the bunch _ I found the others a bit characterless, but have a Barone Jazz 8 which has a lovely sound (as played by Charles Lloyd).

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try them out myself since i want to play some lush ballads and subtone. Unfortunately, every music store in my area only carry the regular Otto Link STMs and not the others so maybe I should just put that idea on hold for now.

The New Vintage tone masters have also had some hand finishing, a higher baffle (still a roll over) and carry a serial number.

IMO, they (or at least the one I have) are better for it than a standard STM. I have always suffered stuffiness on metal links and this one keeps the good link sound but rids the stuffiness.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom