SYOS

Cuban roast pork

Morgan Fry

This one is the traditional hoiday roast. Get as big a pork loin as you can, the leftovers make epic Cuban sandwiches.

these amounts are for about a 2 kg or so roast.

In a mortar and pestle crush together:
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper

add this all to:
juice of 2 limes
juice of 1 orange
3 tbs oive oil
1/4 bottle white wine

Cut the rind off the loin (choose one with plenty of fat on it), score the top (fat) side and put it in a big bowl. Pour the marinade over it and marinate overnight. Turn the pork over once or twice.

Put it in a roasting pan fat side up, pour all the marinade over it and roast on the bottom shelf at 170C until it's done. Baste every so often. Maybe throw some peeled carrots and sweet potatoes in the pan.

Serve as is, or the leftover drippings and marinade make a great gravy. While the roast is resting, spoon off a few tablespoons of the drippings and put in a sauce pan. Whisk in an equal volume of flour, and cook over low heat until it stops swelling. Deglaze the roasting pan with some stock (chicken, veg, anything but beef). Whisk this all into the roux and add an ounce or two of sherry and a pinch or two of both sugar and mustard.

Best thing is to make way too much and later make Cuban sandwiches: hot panini with mustard on, the leftover pork, ham, edam cheese, and sliced gherkin.

Enjoy!

OP
Morgan Fry

Morgan Fry

Yep, it's definitely one of the best things ever. If you liked this, you MUST make some cuban sandwiches.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Gets mine and the family's vote as well!!!

Big thanks for posting it. Kids said I must post their favourite recipe, 'Magic bread' to say thanks to you. Give me a day or so.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Suggestion: Double marinating time, then before roasting, inject the meat with the marinade....

Lemons make a good lime substitute.

If you haven't tried this yet, you're missing a real treat!!!

Top Bottom