All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Crook cork

Bobby G

Locality
Wonderful Welwyn Garden City, Herts
Cork, who needs it? Gaffer tape works just as well :w00t:

...... well, it did for me as a temporary fix on the tenor a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone else have any other quick'n'dirty fixes for when you need to get out of a tight spot?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I recommend blue painter's masking tape because you can wrap it to the desired thickness and it doesn't leave a sticky residue when removed. I also cut off the sticky portion of post it notes to make a temporary wrap around a cork when trying a mouthpiece that is too large for the cork.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
PTFE tape is a better bodge than gaffer tape as it's clean, and so thin you can get it to a very precise thickness.

flamingoer

Locality
london
'scuse the ignorance but what is PTFE tape? I have a problem with my alto Runyon 22 sliding slowly but inevitably
along the cork, sharpening up my act no end.

Bobby G

Locality
PTFE tape is a better bodge than gaffer tape as it's clean, and so thin you can get it to a very precise thickness.

Definitely, but gaffer tape is all I had to hand at the time, and it worked ok. It even came off cleanly, which I admit was a bit of a surprise!

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
PTFE. polytetrafluoroethylene. Plumbers tape to you and me. Self amalgamating tape is also quite useful for a get out of gaol situation and it has no glue so is easily removed.

The neck cork is so easy to do though and offers a more long term fix.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
'scuse the ignorance but what is PTFE tape? I have a problem with my alto Runyon 22 sliding slowly but inevitably
along the cork, sharpening up my act no end.

There is the recommendation elsewhere in this forum to expand the cork by steaming at the spout of a kettle... usual care etc. to be taken

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Definitely, but gaffer tape is all I had to hand at the time, and it worked ok. It even came off cleanly, which I admit was a bit of a surprise!

Yup, agreed, whatever comes to hand, if it can get you out of a hole is good.

I once went to a gig and realised I'd left my Lawton mouthpiece at home. I had a spare mouthpiece, a Britone Roc. Fine, but no lig. Scrounged a roll of sellotape from the women on the bar. Taped the reed on, worked fine for the whole gig.

flamingoer

Locality
london
thanks to everyone.
My trouble is that my usual mouthpiece -Vandoren V16 - fits perfectly, but if I need a bit more wellie
I use the 22. Suspect the real answer lies with me and my emboucher.

AlistairD

Easy alternative to get different mouthpieces to fit is a small amount of electrical tape on the inside of the larger bore mouthpiece.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bobby G

Locality
There is the recommendation elsewhere in this forum to expand the cork by steaming at the spout of a kettle... usual care etc. to be taken

Yes, don't be too vigorous with the steam or your cork will drop off (he said from experience):blush:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
A little flick under the flame of a cigarette lighter will expand the cork to get you out of trouble. It's a case of diminishing returns though. The expanded cork wears quicker.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW

I have used PTFE tape on uilleann pipes, too, on the chanter spigot and also on the bag end of the air feed pipe from the bellows. Good for plumbing jobs around the house, too...

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
PTFE tape stops the foot of my flute falling off but strangest of all, partially filled the bellows of one of my melodeons (cheap one) with concrete to increase pressure allowing better note bending. Jules can tell you how they do it on diatonic mouthorgans.

Apologies for being serious.

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
Self amalgamating tape would do in an emergency, if you had any to hand. Indeed it doesn't have any glue, but it's not easy to remove as it requires stretching and then self amalgamates as it's supposed to if it's going to work. You really need a sharp knife to cut it off. I use it a lot for waterproofing outdoor radio antenna joints, where it's excellent.

Staff online

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom