All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Crash learning

dooce

Got a call from a band looking for a sax and obviously, being in only 3 bands at the moment, I said I would go along this evening for a try-out - fairly standard repertoire of rock/R&B/blues stuff that holds no great fears for me, but got a text this morning saying, oh, forgot to mention, one of our best received songs is "Will You" - can you come along and have a crack at the solo?

Aaarrgghhhh!!! Never played it my life, don't even particularly like it, don't like playing alto. So they are getting the safe version on tenor, the best I can manage in the 40-odd minutes practice time I'll have before I go out this evening. Could be the shortest audition on record.......

Taz

Busking Oracle
Ha ha nice one Bill, I've been trying to learn that one for ages but I just keep getting lost. Trev, Saxlicker has got a lovely version on his sound click page Good luck with the new band!

dooce

It's not that difficult technically (at least on tenor) but the phrasing and expression are bitches to get. I've just spent my lunch-hour tackling it and even though I still can't say it's one of my favourites, I've got to admit Wes Macoogan is some player.

rhysonsax

One of my favourite solos and I have transcribed it (backings in song and sax solo) both for Eb alto and in Bb. It all falls in the range for soprano except for one note (low A I think).

If it's not too late, drop me a PM and I could email you the transcription(s) if that would help.

Rhys

MellowD

Lost In Theory
I've just spent my lunch-hour tackling it

I see this a lot on the forum - is it standard practice to take your sax to work for a large amount of the sax population then?
I'm home all the time, so I'm spoiled!

Greg Strange

This might help...

http://www.hazeloconnor.net/willyou.pdf

The solo is in concert pitch - whack it up a tone she'll be right for tenor... or soprano...

hang on there's a nasty low G there whack it up a major ninth for tenor or just buy a damn alto...:)))

Cheers,

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I see this a lot on the forum - is it standard practice to take your sax to work for a large amount of the sax population then?
I just bought a soprano for that... Sit in the car and blow.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I just bought a soprano for that... Sit in the car and blow.
Ha ha I'm a lorry driver and I used to work nights. I took my alto to work and used to park up and play at about 3am. One morning I was in a deserted layby and I was blowing my heart out when all of a sudden there was a very loud banging on my door and another trucker who was trying to sleep shouted "Shut the f*^k up!" I hadn't realised that there were two parts of this lay by and he was parked on the other side of the hedge! :shocked::))):))):))):))):))):))):)))

What

Well now that I am the boss of special services (a bit better job the I had two weeks ago, but still kind of rubbish) perhaps I should bring my horn out. When I get too deep with customers I can get a bit of practice in till the store clears out.

dooce

Nailed it! Well, strictly speaking, nailed the first 30-odd bars, and it was a bit free-form after that, but good enough to be offered a regular slot in the band. Thanks for the offer of the score Rhys but I saw it too late. I did download the dots from the Hazel O'Connor website, but they differed in quite a few areas from what I was hearing so I then re-wrote them with my interpretation, including some of the dynamics and phrasing. Still needs some work, but quite pleased that I pulled something off that a few hours earlier had looked like a particularly unlikely episode of "Mission Impossible"!

rhysonsax

Nailed it! Well, strictly speaking, nailed the first 30-odd bars, and it was a bit free-form after that, but good enough to be offered a regular slot in the band. Thanks for the offer of the score Rhys but I saw it too late. I did download the dots from the Hazel O'Connor website, but they differed in quite a few areas from what I was hearing so I then re-wrote them with my interpretation, including some of the dynamics and phrasing. Still needs some work, but quite pleased that I pulled something off that a few hours earlier had looked like a particularly unlikely episode of "Mission Impossible"!
Well done Bill.

Transcription still available if you would like to compare it to what you have written down.

Rhys

Taz

Busking Oracle
Ha ha well done Bill. I had my fingers crossed for you. Who and what they?

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom