Tutorials

Coyright reprise

Moz

Further to a previous thread on copyright law...

I bought and paid for a backing track from Ameritz, could I, if I wanted, use that backing track to produce a recording that I could sell without paying further royalties to anyone?

Martin

OP
Moz

Moz

Further to a previous thread on copyright law...

I bought and paid for a backing track from Ameritz, could I, if I wanted, use that backing track to produce a recording that I could sell without paying further royalties to anyone?

Martin
Hmm, I've just gone over the previous thread again and think Pete gave the answer in one of his replies there.

Cheers anyway

Martin

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I just had a look at Ameritz terms and conditions:

5. The rights granted to You under these Terms and Conditions shall be for your own personal usage, and under no circumstances shall you be allowed to copy, distribute or transfer the Music in any form or to any other third party.
Regarding use of backing tracks from other companies, you can't generalise, it would depend on the terms of the individual company.

OP
Moz

Moz

Pete,

Indeed, that does look pretty fireproof. Fortunately, it is a moot point as I think I'm a bit old for a mainstream music career.

Further to the above though, I do write my own music as a starting composer. In the unlkely event of writing anything of publishable standard how do I protect my own copyright? Is it enough to put the copyright symbol with a name and a date at the bottom of each page or is there some legal stuff that needs to be done?

Cheers,

Martin

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Further to the above though, I do write my own music as a starting composer. In the unlkely event of writing anything of publishable standard how do I protect my own copyright? Is it enough to put the copyright symbol with a name and a date at the bottom of each page or is there some legal stuff that needs to be done?
When something is published, your copyright is protected from that date (providing of course there is no infringement of someone else's copyright).

It's not so straightforward to create a copyright on something unpublished. The main thing is to be able to prove it was in your possession on a certain ate, anyone nicking it could only prove a later date.

This is why some people say mail it to yourself registered and keep in a sealed and post office dated envelope ready to open in court if necessary.

The musicians union have a service whereby you send them in a track on a CDR and they keep it for your and register it in a database. Not a formal copyright I believe, but they would then be able to represent you in court.

To just put someone off from nicking your tune, yes the first step is to put a © notice on it. It won't stop a pirate though.

Top Bottom