Supporting   special needs music

Covering a Euphonium Part

RobBari

Locality
Texas, USA
[Concert Band-related] My German band had a rehearsal where none of the euph players showed - and the piece had a lot of solo and leading lines in the euph part only. I volunteered to try to cover the euph part, and it was great fun! Lots of agile and/or exposed lines. I often cover bassoon or trombone parts on bari sax, but this was much more fun. I was afraid the part would lie too high, but no prob.

[I'm not sure where this discussion fits, so mods please move it if appropriate.]

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
What key does a euphonium play in?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The euphonium and baritone parts in concert band music are written in concert pitch bass clef, and in the key of Bb treble clef so that trumpet players can easily switch to baritone if needed.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
[Concert Band-related] My German band had a rehearsal where none of the euph players showed
Welllll....back in my school days, Euphonium players were the most likely band members to go....um....missing....

(....'twas the strangest thing....)

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I’ve had to cover euphonium parts in the past on cello and can confirm parts in bass clef. So usual trick on a Bari sax of add 3 flats etc

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I’ve had to cover euphonium parts in the past on cello and can confirm parts in bass clef. So usual trick on a Bari sax of add 3 flats etc

Remove three flats or add three sharps, surely ?

Rhys