support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Courtney Pine’s MK VI for sale at Hanson’s

I’ve always found him to be a bit of a conundrum. Fabulous sound! Some lovely ideas too and can definitely play, but seemingly his own voice is a little too non-conforming when in an environment where it should - ie pop tunes

I’ve always found him to be a bit of a conundrum. Fabulous sound! Some lovely ideas too and can definitely play, but seemingly his own voice is a little too non-conforming when in an environment where it should - ie pop tunes
Not sure I understand what you are saying, are you suggesting he should conform to the norm?

I think you all missed the important bit:

If you are after the famous feel and sound of a Mark VI but are a bit put off by the price, why not take a look at our Hanson LX Saxophone - a must have in your sax colleciton, with all the sound and quality you could wish for in a Mark VI.

Save 4525£ NOW!

When the music demands it, yes. When doing his own thing, no.
I once saw a guy do his own very modern jazz thing over Georgia, by Ray Charles. The band were all playing in the style that Ray would have sung over and it was vocal lead. It’s just wrong, and not smart. Now, should he choose to do his own version with his band in his own style then it becomes something else.

I would like to hear it.
maybe an example of what you are talking about would shed some light on where you are coming from.
I think it’s quite clear from my examples. Music does have parameters of style and it demands that players stay largely within them. Straying too far is wrong.
If playing a style where parameters of style are either blurred, very wide or non-existent - then the player can be experimental if they so wish.

Ok, so if Coltrane does his thing in a Rock n Roll band - that’s ok?
Maybe he did do his thing in a Rock n roll band.
"Any time you play your horn, it helps you. If you get down, you can help yourself, even in a rock’n’roll band.” John Coltrane

Back
Top Bottom