support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

counting Rhythm

eb424

Locality
london
I know its been discussed before but cant find any answers is there a book that includes counting rhythm... kinda like an idiots guide for an idiot...

There is Music Theory for Dummies. It's very good and I would recommend it highly.

There is Kodàly method which helps to teach rhythm

Ta tat te ta ta. ;)
why's it made out to be more complecated than that??.. my tutor counts (ive not seen him for a while...that's why) and I'd need a flamin abacus to keep up.... don't know whether comming away from the way I do things now is really going to benefit me...

why's it made out to be more complecated than that??.. my tutor counts (ive not seen him for a while...that's why) and I'd need a flamin abacus to keep up.... don't know whether comming away from the way I do things now is really going to benefit me...

You might get on well with the rhythm reading system that was taught by UK saxophonist, writer and teacher Leslie Evans. He, and I'm sure others too, associated a syllable, word, or phrase with all of the commonly occurring musical rhythms and then his pupils would find themselves saying out loud things such as:

Dum-di merrily tickets beautiful mummy-daddy.

@brianr sold some Les Evans lessons on this other thread SOLD - LESLIE EVANS -SAXOPHONE LESSONS - COMPLETE They included Timing Studies and Counting Principles.

I think that others on the forum will have encountered this system and can give more examples.

Rhys

Last edited:
In Kodàly a specific sound is associated with a note length. The sounds chosen are designed to be consistent. The problem using words is they are inconsistent depending on where you place the emphasis. Before you try playing something, you speak the rhythm. It helps you ‘get’ the rhythm. It helps to improve your sense and recognition of rhythm.

Another easy way to get used to notation is to look at songs with lyrics that you already know. The notation follows the words and visa versa.
It's easier to teach/learn when very young as kids don't get offended by nursery rhymes and very simple themes.
The joy I felt knocking out "go and tell aunt nancy" as an 8 year old on a plastic recorder was immense. The week after and the whole ensemble, recorder group, knocking out "Londons burning" and then finding it was a round was a moment to remember.
As an adult twinkle twinkle little star may seem childish and silly but it still has a lesson to teach.
I find it all goes in one little thing at a time. Get settled with that and add another little thing.
Get comfortable with crotchets and add quavers.
Music is a vast subject. There's so much to learn that one lifetime may not be enough to cover it all.
We are where we are. Just do the next thing. Be the tortoise not the hare. No rush. It's endless.
Don't get transfixed by the destination. It's the ride that's important. Enjoy the view and get off at any station along the way to enjoy where you are. ;)

The high-tech solution.

I have one of the basic ones -not used it much yet as trying to get to grips with other areas but need to start. My timing has always been my weaknesses in music

Agree with above posts. There's a reason children learn nursery rhymes when learning to read and learning music: they're simple. From a music point simple rhythm and simple notes.

As children progress, they learn more complex things.

As adults, there is no short-cut - there are books that avoid the nursery rhymes, but you still start with things that are just minims and crotchets.

You have to take one step at a time - you can't go from nothing to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring overnight.

The way to get better is to just do more of it.

Last edited: