All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Counterfeit (?) yani on eBay

DavidUK

No, it's not a genuine one. Spend 30 seconds comparing to the Yany web site.

I noticed the seller sold a Yamaha alto and alto sax stand. And... he sold a sop stand too. Why buy a stand if your plan is to scam?

It's still a fake though, and I told him last week with no reply.

Hammie 1982

Reported,
Then got sucked in looking for something that might be a decent deal lol

Sent off a few enquiries/ requests for further information! Some things seem very badly advertised which leads me to believe they are knock off cheap copies!

Not sure I'd know enough to actually purchase something there without possibly getting ripped off to be honest

DavidUK

My warning ad has been taken down by eBay:
Note their wording I've highlighted in RED...

"Your listing isn’t following policy: Item description policy

Hello,
Your listing didn't follow our Item description policy. All content in your listing must be directly related to the item or your terms and conditions.
What activity didn't follow the policy

Please understand that you mentioned the comments "DO NOT BID. WARNING ONLY. READ ON.If you see an auction ad on here for a silver curved Yanagisawa Soprano sax (Item specifics states Yanagisawa is the brand), with a similar photo to the first or second one, the saxophone is a FAKE.". In the listing page, all content should be related to the sale of the item being sold. Inappropriate comments which are not relevant to the sale of the item within the listing are not permitted. In terms of personal comments, we want all our members to feel safe to visit and trade without the fear of another member posting negative comments in listings. We have the Feedback forum You can relist the item after removing the unrelated comments from the listing.
What you need to do next

Please review your current listings to ensure they follow our policy. Any future listings will need to follow our policy too.

What is the policy
- All content in a listing must be directly related to the item or the seller’s terms and conditions
Additionally:

- Item descriptions must be accurate and not mislead the buyer
- Item specifics must be accurate. When item specifics are required, they must be filled out completely
- Product details must match the item exactly when creating a listing using the eBay catalog
  • Items must be listed in the correct category
  • Item descriptions must be in the primary language of the eBay site where the item is listed

How this affects your account
Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

- Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended and placed in your unsold items.

• We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s).

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended. In addition,
there will be a temporary 3-day restriction placed on your account, and your other listings will be hidden from search during this period. All fees paid or payable for listings that are ended and/or hidden from search will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account..

Why we have this policy

When item descriptions are accurate, and in the primary language of the eBay site the item is listed on, buyers get a clear understanding of what the item is and any terms and conditions related to the item before they buy.
More information and help
Listings that don't follow policy
153971561046 - WARNING - Fake Yanagisawa Curved Soprano Saxophone on eBay UK

We appreciate your understanding.
Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email."

:rolleyes:

cromerblues

I spotted, what I believed were a handful of fake (didnt know about the sax.co robbery then) Yamaha top end horns a month back and reported them to Ebay as suspicious. They were being sold by three "different" ebayers but there were common areas which gave the game away totally. I let Ebay know of my suspicions and heard nothing back. They continued to be advertised and no doubt someone bought a copy. They weren't silly prices but just did not add up and why would a seller need three aliases?? The soprano Yani guy was selling them one after another all with the same description "...bought as a present for my daughter who said she would rather play piano"" really!! Weird thing was he seemingly kept buying them for her even though she didn't want them! A few were caught out and bought, but as said earlier enough giveaways, let alone the descriptions.......poor finish, logos and serials just off enough and of course white gloves!! Duh! You really rarely get a huge bargain and how many would really start a prestige horn at such silly low prices..with no reserve....?

Adrian63

I haven't read through these properly : have to get back to playing and the ebay listings are gone...what was the starting price £250....and it went for £1000 am I right please ?

cromerblues

The starting prices for the yani sops were around £300, history showed a few had gone the full road to four figures plus if I recall. The yamahas were priced in the ball park and sold as either new or hardly used, four figures plus and some shown wrapped in plastic in their cases, but awful photos. This is the giveaway for me, who would actually post a prestige horn with rubbish photography, poor angles, out of focus some, and miles away from what an enthusiastic amateur produces!!

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
sounds like a pig on a ferris wheel
Like that phrase lots

Adrian63

I don't know what to think . Part of me says that if you are going to spend a grand on a horn from e bay which is known to be notorious ; you really need to have your act together and be over cautious : over mindful of scam sales . If you wernt sure or new to sax then surely you would have somebody take a look : a second opinion. I don't know the rrp of these horns but auction aside if something starts that low then you would want to know why . I've had no similar dealings but I know these ads often come with bad English and a bunch of stock reasons for sale. " it was an unwanted present "...who buys a two grand sax to give away to somebody who doesn't want it ? If I were spending a grand or more on a horn I would insist on seeing and playing it before buying...it's only a drive or train journey : sure it may take a whole day but all going well you come back with the horn you wanted in the condition you expected . I feel a little sorry for the folk that get ripped but whose to blame ? There will always be scams : it's as old as the hills...it's up to you to make sure it doesn't happen to you...

Adrian63

None of the above condones the scammer ( s ) at all...it's a lowdown nasty trick aimed at the novice . Worse it could be bought in good faith for a kid whose just learning .
All I'm saying is people need to be more cautious before spending big money..
Did this go on pre internet ?

cromerblues

Oddly, you get better purchases buying at the cheap end when after older instruments. There appear a fair few clarinets found in lofts and cupboards that may well be the result of Covid mortality. The accompanying prose tends to give it away with talk of "valves" being ok, "levers" all working" "free reed" etc. A quick look at the other items for sale from that person often provides enough info to support this as often there are many items relating to an older generation disposal of surplus household items and collectibles. When a plethora of horns show then you need to look more closely, just in case, and even though you may only be outlaying £50, it is important that keywork is present and correct. It is not that easy to find keys for 100 year old instruments and one of the big faults of sellers is not recognising that there are missing parts or broken keys. Funnily the other day a clarinet was being sold by a charity, who having had a donation instrument, then decided because it had open tone holes with no keywork that it was indeed missing parts and thus only fit for spares. A careful look over suggested all was present and correct! But you do not tend to get scammed in this area, going up market is different and definitely saxophones are very hard to appraise unless a real bargain presents. I agree, upwards of several hundred pounds, makes for tricky purchases. There are copies appearing and unless you do spend time looking hard and comparing with bona fide horns I can see how you get caught. There again a newby probably would not know they had been scammed until they had to go to a tech and then all is revealed. I think ultimately if you are going to by from Ebay you must spend a lot of time looking hard, comparing and reading reviews.............or else habius corpus!

DavidUK

"Hi, these were £6,675 new. Why so cheap? Thanks, David"

Reply: "I just asked my partner. He bought it for a little more than he's selling it for, so only asking reasonable price. Neither of us are experts on saxophones."

Yeah...right.

£200 would mean I own it and therefore I'm breaking the law. Ownership of counterfeit = criminal offence.

I replied: "Hi, it's a fake. It's illegal to sell counterfeit items = criminal offence. Did you know? You'll have to throw it away I'm afraid."

Top Bottom