All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Counterfeit (?) yani on eBay

NicholasCBV

This just popped up on my eBay search (the hunt for a sop is on). I’m 100% certain it’s a fake and I won’t be going anywhere near it, but I thought I’d share it with you for general interest: eBay Listing

The biggest tragedy is that one poor soul has jumped onto it straight away, probably thinking that they’ve got the deal of a lifetime. As with all counterfeits, the issue is that every time they are sold on, they gain a little more history and stronger provenance, and unless one has the technical knowledge of the brand/instrument to spot the differences, an unsuspecting buyer could pay huge money for a substandard horn.

I’m very new in rejoining the game, but with all of the secondhand horns I’ve looked at, I’ve done a reasonable amount of research to double-check their authenticity, including with my tenor, comparing photos with other versions and getting in touch with the maker to check the serials. Are there any other top tips I should consider?

Here are the photos in case it disappears:
8FE41CB0-F2DE-4D92-8254-849124DFF02C.png
5BE1C725-962B-4128-BB1C-C39165F1B799.png

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The white gloves are a bit of a giveaway.

nigeld

Subscriber
Are there any other top tips I should consider?
"Unwanted gift"
"Cash only"
"I know nothing about it"
are warning signs.

Anybody putting up a solid silver Yani for sale would at least have checked the retail price.
(Although the original retail price for that particular sax was probably about £250.)

Also if you ask if you can come and try it and it turns out that it is currently on a Scottish island. (Applies particularly to Mk VI's).

OP
NicholasCBV

NicholasCBV

"Unwanted gift"
"Cash only"
"I know nothing about it"
are warning signs.

Anybody putting up a solid silver Yani for sale would at least have checked the retail price.
(Although the original retail price for that particular sax was probably about £250.)

Also if you ask if you can come and try it and it turns out that it is currently on a Scottish island. (Applies particularly to Mk VI's).
Thank you, these are great!

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
The poor quality fluffy stick is also a giveaway - you wouldn't put something that cheap and nasty with an expensive horn.

TheCureFan

Just asked this question Ie can I come and test it and this was the response :-

“You can come to see it. But it’s not suitable to be try due to the new condition. Sorry about that“

nigeld

Subscriber
Just asked this question Ie can I come and test it and this was the response :-

“You can come to see it. But it’s not suitable to be try due to the new condition. Sorry about that“
Blimey! It must be bad!

DavidUK

Here's its twin from AliExpress.

View attachment 14681
That one at least has a correctly shaped bell key guard and gold neck receiver and bell joint.

I can't find many differences in the photos of some on Google. Look at the engraving (which is different, but elaborate) on this one for £279...

So, you get tempted to save 95% of the cost of a real one JUST because it looks the same. Ego trip?

Then you try playing it, or worse "your little girl" does and you/she sounds like a pig on a ferris wheel.

I wonder if @Stephen Howard @jbtsax @JayeNM have ever had someone who had the Garageband, sorry, audacity to bring one in for a set up and if so how the conversation went?

Repairers ought to have the legal power to hold it up by the neck and smash it down onto a metal workbench. That's the sax I'm talking about, not the cheapskate/gullible/fraudster/owner, although...

Anyway, you're stuck with this thing which has lost its attraction so what do you do?
Sell it as genuine on eBay and risk a prison sentence "I had no idea m'lud"?
Or sell it as "Yanagisawa copy" - still a criminal offence, even worse perhaps as you're saying you know it's a fake.

Or, as I've just messaged the eBay seller... "chuck it in the bin".

That's the only safe way out of your crime.

£510.00 and 7 bids as I type. Reported.

nigeld

Subscriber
Sometimes the photos are of the genuine article.

DavidUK

Sometimes the photos are of the genuine article.
The main photo from the one I was looking at may be:

Let's not encourage folks now! o_O

nigeld

Subscriber
Some poor person seems to have paid over £1000 for that fake Yanagisawa.

Now the seller has got either the same one or another one for sale - collection only and payment in cash. So the buyer will not be able to use Paypal buyer protection.

I think that rules out the possibility that the seller believed that the sax was genuine.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
It is 'relisted'....which, if one is optimistic - might mean the buyer bailed on paying.

OR, the buyer payed (and subsequently will get reamed).... and this is just another one.

Could well be the seller has a dozen of these.

I reported it, as Dave suggested. Please do same.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom