Supporting   special needs music

Cough Cough Couth!!!

Fraser Jarvis

Ok this happened to me the other day whilst practicing at home...i've just played the section stuff and suddenly i'm in for the solo but as i start i get an overwhelming need and absolutely cant do anything else but stop and have a good ole cough, never happened to me live before but it wouldent half be embarrasing if it did!
Has this ever happened to any of you? and how did you deal with it?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Has this ever happened to any of you? and how did you deal with it?

I accepted the embarrassment and tried to minimize the coughing.
Strangely enough playing sax usually limits the need for it.

If the tune is "A Night In Tunisia" try coughing during the 4 bar break. Hilarious.

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
My old mum used to say:

"It's not the cough that'll carry you off - It's the coffin they'll carry you off in"

Regular breathing exercises and a 5 mile uphill hike before breakfast. If you aint got a dog - get one.

On a more serious note;-) Try to relax and compose yourself and try to breathe more slowly through your nose rather than your mouth.

Last edited:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Back to the OP I guess you either ignore it and carry on as Aldevis did or use humour and a bit of banter with your band mates, guess it depends how bad the coughing fit is.

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
a bit of banter with your band mates, guess it depends how bad the coughing fit is.

Kind of
"Holy shift! The guitarist stinks of sulphur! Cough cough! Couldn't he find something better to kill his flees? Cough cough!"

Drummer will not understand anyway and will keep grooving.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Occupational hazard I suppose. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Folks might get suspicious if it keeps happening on the hard bits.

I've started wearing olbas oil instead of deodorant lately. It helps to keep the pipes clear. Being single nobody gets that close to me besides the dog and she actively likes me smelling of old kippers.

The Arsenal reference was to a Morecambe and Wise sketch where Earnie coughed the answer to Eric. Predating millionaire by a few decades.

http://youtu.be/JGIA-RKaS9I

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Eric was a big Luton fan! I still use the "Cough Arsenal" thing!

Fraser Jarvis

I guess you either ignore it and carry on,guess it depends how bad the coughing fit is.

Jx
You do lots of guessing Jeanette, not happened to you yet then? And what if it's so bad you drop to your knees with a piece of reed lodged in your throat and one of the others has perform the Heinrich procedure (I wonder if the whole band would stop?) probably not hehe!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
You do lots of guessing Jeanette, not happened to you yet then? And what if it's so bad you drop to your knees with a piece of reed lodged in your throat and one of the others has perform the Heinrich procedure (I wonder if the whole band would stop?) probably not hehe!

Lol .

No not happened to me I've only played in an orchestra, not good enough solos so I'm not missed if I don't play. Would get frowns if I had a noisy coughing fit though :)

Hopefully in the above scenario you would dislodge the reed as you dropped to the floor and could continue playing from there and make it look it was all meant to be.

Jx

Fraser Jarvis

Hopefully in the above scenario you would dislodge the reed as you dropped to the floor and could continue playing from there and make it look it was all meant to be.

Jx
Wot like big Jay McNeely, all be it with a battered Super 20 tho, think I'd pretend to be dead!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Heinrich's procedure involves adopting a position of reverse infracture to suspend the peristalsis invoked from the imbibement of masticulatory objects purloined from gastric establishments.

Just to explain...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Heinrich's procedure involves adopting a position of reverse infracture to suspend the peristalsis invoked from the imbibement of masticulatory objects purloined from gastric establishments.

Just to explain...

We should move the peristalsis reference to the "how to growl" section