All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Cost of UL v's L?????

SaxinNZ

Why does an un-lacquered sax (a P Mauriat Influence for example) cost around £200 more than a lacquered one? The prep required to lacquer, plus the “superb” faux patina that they put on prior to (or during) lacquering must be far more work than just a buff and leave job!

If anything, I would expect a UL to be a whole lot less money. Is it because they “can” charge more, or am I missing something? I would welcome an answer from someone who knows. This isn’t a rant, or even a complaint, but I am curious to say the least.

Saxlicker

Why does an un-lacquered sax (a P Mauriat Influence for example) cost around £200 more than a lacquered one? The prep required to lacquer, plus the “superb” faux patina that they put on prior to (or during) lacquering must be far more work than just a buff and leave job!

If anything, I would expect a UL to be a whole lot less money. Is it because they “can” charge more, or am I missing something? I would welcome an answer from someone who knows. This isn’t a rant, or even a complaint, but I am curious to say the least.

The UL's are treated differently by manufacturers. For example, Trevor James fettle the appearance of a waxy dip that is used primarily for cleaning the sax at a point during the process.
I think Yamaha do simply buff them so probably many variations to be had.

All in all, it's a popular choice and they know it and I suspect that there within lies the real answer.

plus the “superb” faux patina that they put on prior to (or during) lacquering must be far more work than just a buff and leave job!

Superb.....?
Horses for corses I suppose ;}

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I think its like what Saxlicker says there the new choice of many so they up the cost.Ul is the new black.

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom