Tutorials

Corus steelworks.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
It's the Corus guys at other sites that are balloting for strike action
(Corby etc). Still it feels a bit futile.
Another northern gem bites the dust.

MartinL

Ahhh Nostalgia.

Takes me back to my apprentice days when I was a lad in a steel works set to close. Yes all of British Steel went on strike back then but steel plants still closed, mine too.

jonf

Have I misunderstood the news.
Corus steelworks is closing down, so the employees are deciding whether to go out on strike.:confused:
It's not that straighforward. Shutting down a steelworks isn't like stopping production at a factory. If you ever want to use it again (and they are planning to mothball it so it could be sold as a working facility) you need to shut down in an orderly fashion. It takes best part of a month for a blast furnace to cool down, and if you do it right you can re-use it. In the normal run of things, a blast furnace is permanently hot, and it costs about £30 million to recommission. Still a lot cheaper than building one from scratch. It'll probably take about six months to fully mothball the site. The Redcar works has had a good reputation for high quality steel, and it would have had work for years if some b'stard hadn't pulled out of a signed deal.

So, Corus workers do still have some leverage against management, and Corus as a company still has a lot of other ongoing sites. Still probably a futile exercise, though. I've seen steelmaking on Teesside slowly dying on its arse all my life. Other than petrochemicals there's not a lot of industry left there. Seems sad that part of the heart of the industrial revolution in this country has died out. Call centres don't really compare in terms of working heritage.

:(

AdamBradley

jonf said:
It's not that straighforward. Shutting down a steelworks isn't like stopping production at a factory. If you ever want to use it again (and they are planning to mothball it so it could be sold as a working facility) you need to shut down in an orderly fashion. It takes best part of a month for a blast furnace to cool down, and if you do it right you can re-use it. In the normal run of things, a blast furnace is permanently hot, and it costs about £30 million to recommission. Still a lot cheaper than building one from scratch. It'll probably take about six months to fully mothball the site. The Redcar works has had a good reputation for high quality steel, and it would have had work for years if some b'stard hadn't pulled out of a signed deal.

So, Corus workers do still have some leverage against management, and Corus as a company still has a lot of other ongoing sites. Still probably a futile exercise, though. I've seen steelmaking on Teesside slowly dying on its arse all my life. Other than petrochemicals there's not a lot of industry left there. Seems sad that part of the heart of the industrial revolution in this country has died out. Call centres don't really compare in terms of working heritage.

:(
I'm yet to encounter a brit call centre. Usually Indians or Irish. I find it really hard to understand a thick Indian accent, and I find it hard to concentrate on the task at hand with any hint of an Irish accent :(

This covers my entire attempted interaction with call centres for my mobile phone, land line, internet provider, bank, energy supplier and student loan company.

jonf

I'm yet to encounter a brit call centre. Usually Indians or Irish. I find it really hard to understand a thick Indian accent, and I find it hard to concentrate on the task at hand with any hint of an Irish accent :(

This covers my entire attempted interaction with call centres for my mobile phone, land line, internet provider, bank, energy supplier and student loan company.
There are dozens of them in the North East of England. EDF Energy, T Mobile, More Than, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Northern Rock :)shocked:) as a few examples. Focus groups tell companies that North Eastern accents sound trustworthy and intelligent without being patronising. They're increasingly being moved back to the UK after outsourcing overseas has proved unpopular.

They also take advantage of tax/business rates reductions by locating in areas of high unemployment. They do provide jobs, but I can't think of anywhere worse to work.:(

AdamBradley

I have some friends from Newcastle, I used to adore their accent but now when we speak I can do nothing but imaging I'm listening to the voiceover chap from Big Brother (thank GOD that's gone now!).

I'm curious as to why they shut down steelworks here - is it because they can no longer source the raw materials or because overseas production simply cannot be competed with?

jonf

I'm curious as to why they shut down steelworks here - is it because they can no longer source the raw materials or because overseas production simply cannot be competed with?

It's a mix of circumstances. Overseas production of basic stuff (rails and the like) has been so cheap that we haven't been able to compete for 20 years or so. British Steel, and latterly Corus had been doing very well, making good profits from specialst stuff and small bespoke orders, and that continues from Scunthorpe. I guess there's been a bit of naiive management and historic underinvestment, but the future should have been certain for a good while as there were orders on the books, contracts signed. They've now been pulled in breach of contract leaving the order books empty. What can you do? Pursuing a case for breach of contract is going to take years and only make the lawyers rich. So, Corus have decided to cut and run.

Ben Cain

As a lad growing up in Middlesbrough, my dad worked origianlly for Dorman Long on the site that became BSC but retired before Corus took over. Seeing the decline in my town from a proud heritage of steel production and a centre of the industrial revolution turning into a service providers playground makes me sick.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
My dad was a blast furnaceman for over fifty years in Rotherham.
He cried when they pullled his unit down. Broke my heart too.
Thanks Maggie. Sorry Pete, almost politics there.

PCthug

I have some friends from Newcastle, I used to adore their accent but now when we speak I can do nothing but imaging I'm listening to the voiceover chap from Big Brother (thank GOD that's gone now!).
QUOTE]

Newcastle is completely different from Teesside.

I agree on your second point though.

Top Bottom