support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Corton Deluxe. Yanagisawa?

I think the Yani stencils have the "Yani" symbol somewhere on them - probably somewhere by the bottom thumb rest perhaps...the lyre logo...

Greg S.
Yes, I read about the lyre logo here. I will take a good look for it later this week when Im able to.
Wonder if @thomsax know what price is legit for this sax and how I can see what year it was made? The price is set to 660 USD.

In my day ( 1970s) Corton saxes were horrible tinny things made in Czecholand, I seem to recall they were about £130 brand new, a bloke called Winston Ingram used to try and flog 'em via the Exchange & Mart etc..I never knew they were made anywhere else, I'd be a bit cautious / dubious myself !

In my day ( 1970s) Corton saxes were horrible tinny things made in Czecholand, I seem to recall they were about £130 brand new, a bloke called Winston Ingram used to try and flog 'em via the Exchange & Mart etc..I never knew they were made anywhere else, I'd be a bit cautious / dubious myself !

What I have found on the web after some google time is that Corton is made in Czecholand (and have a poor reputation on the forums) but the Corton Deluxe is a stencil made by Yaganisawa in Japan. It is not the same as the Corton. But I need someone to enlighten me if this is the truth.

The Cortons from Czech are anything but tinny. They are robust and reliable with good intonation and a flexible sound. I've had several and still have my first alto bought in the early eighties. The action is a little lumpy but still relevant today as a player.

The instrument in the picture is nothing like them. If that helps.

I borrowed one for a bit in about 1979 ( a tenor ) and thought it was horrible, ( tho I was only used to old American instruments at the time ) maybe the altos were better...
Anyway it seems then, that there was another possibly superior 'Corton' incarnation in existance then..interesting

Yes that's the type I remember ! .. although the one I used briefly had a yukky brown case with goldy fur lining that Really stank, Badly ! It was a subject of great mirth in rehearsals !!
The one in the original post is totally different as you rightly say, clearly a different manufacturer / design.

Yes, Corton deluxe is made by Yanagisawa, not Amati.

I've got an Amati. One day I'll finish the repad, but it's solid and well made, even if it's not as refined as some. Maybe the tinny rattly comments are about a well worn one.

The Cortons from Czech are anything but tinny. They are robust and reliable with good intonation and a flexible sound. I've had several and still have my first alto bought in the early eighties. The action is a little lumpy but still relevant today as a player.

The instrument in the picture is nothing like them. If that helps.

Intresting! That kinda helps. If they dont look the same it could be that the deluxe was made by another manufacturer.

Yanagisawa? Top rate. This sounds like a bargain to me, assuming condition etc. are OK. Just make sure that it's got the lyre as previously mentioned. I haven't heard of any de luxe's not being from Yanagisawa, but you never know.

Thomas' Corton DeLuxe photos here: http://s297.photobucket.com/user/thomsax/media/cortondeluxegravyr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=21

Found in a thread here (about 3/4 way down): http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?210773-Yanagisawa-Stencils

His blurb about it also here: Saxophones - Corton de Luxe alto

If you page back and forth you'll see the bell brace is different between yours and the one in his photos.

Hopefully Thomas will drop by and explain more....

More links which may help:
Corton De Luxe and Majestic
Vintage Yanagisawas | The Woodwind Forum
Corton de Luxe (Yanagisawa?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom