support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Correct Notation for Jazz Articulation (hit, fall away and then swell)

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I am trying to transcribe a jazz arrangement and want to notate it correctly, or at least idiomatically so that jazz players will know how to play it.

There's a point where the brass play a long note and do a loud attack, immediately reduce in volume and then swell over the next couple of beats.

How is that best notated ?

Rhys

You could use a Sforzando, which you could notate as Sfp meaning that it goes to piano after the initial forte attack, then use a hairpin to show the crescendo over the subsequent beats. If I can find an example (there were plenty in the musicals concert recently, but I'v no longer got the music) I'll post a pic of it.

There isn’t a “jazz” equivalent, just anything that foots the bill. Tenorviol above is correct. There are some “colloquialisms” / shorthand etc but anything that shows a note being hit and then a crescendo. Most good players will expect this and may play anyway as a long note on its own is just static and not dynamic.

You could use a Sforzando then use a hairpin to show the crescendo over the subsequent beats.

Like this?
cresh.jpg

My understanding is that a sforzando denotes a hard attack, but not necessarily much of a reduction in volume afterwards.
Correct, but it has less effect if not followed by a p cresc. Military band music , wind band and orchestral have more use for it “as is” but not so much pop, big band which is likely to have loud music around it, so more contrast is needed and will expected by players.

I would use fp with an accent followed by hairpin crescendo or else I like the idea of making up my own: sfzp followed by short decresendo then crescendo...

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 13.56.49.png

The two hairpins make it unambiguous what is meant re: the accented attack followed by immediate decrescendo (which is implied by fp plus accent)

Last edited:
I would use fp with an accent followed by hairpin crescendo or else I like the idea of making up my own: sfzp followed by short decresendo then crescendo...

The two hairpins make it unambiguous what is meant re: the accented attack followed by immediate decrescendo (which is implied by fp plus accent)
Too much info

Back
Top Bottom