support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cork to Swansea Ferry :(

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
Heading from Waterville, Vermont to Waterville, Ireland for two weeks in May. Was hoping to take the ferry to Swansea but I see now it is no longer operating. Hoping for some expert local advise?

Many thanks.

There's a Pembroke to Rosslair one.. a couple of hours extra drive at each end but its less time on the water (the Irish sea's notoriously choppy and less time is usually a good thing)

Or from Rosslare to Fishguard which is a shorter distance and may be slightly quicker too. Whatever, there will be a welcome in the hillside whichever way you come, mind!!!!!! :thumb::welldone:w00t::thumb:

Rosslare to Pembroke - 4hrs 1min
Rosslare to Fishguard - 3hrs 15min
Cork to Swansea - 11hrs 30mins (when running).

Did a memorable gig on the Swansea Cork ferry some years ago. Not much of an audience and the drummer had to keep rescuing his kit from sliding around. The rest of us were staggering all over the place. We only got one taker when we invited folk to come and sing a number with us. A little girl of 8 or 9 who sang "Wild Thing". Hilarious.

Rosslare to Pembroke - 4hrs 1min
Rosslare to Fishguard - 3hrs 15min
Cork to Swansea - 11hrs 30mins (when running).

I usually take the Fishguard ferry, the driving in the UK is almost identical, Pembroke and Fishgaurd being so very close and the drive to Cork is quite easy. There is a new Dublin to Cork motorway, I head for Limerick before turning south on the new motorway toward Michelstown. I would be in Cork while the cork ferry is still out on the sea :) I think you will find however that the Swansea -Cork route will reopen in the late spring.

The Fishguard route also has the advantage of landing you in Pembrokeshire, one of the most beautiful and unspoilt bits of Wales, if you have the time to explore.

The Fishguard route also has the advantage of landing you in Pembrokeshire, one of the most beautiful and unspoilt bits of Wales, if you have the time to explore.

Where "Under Milk Wood" was filmed. Of course if you landed at Swansea you could visit Dylan's home and birthplace!

He's right. .the area round St Davids is gorgeous!

44 days - hopefully the snow will melt and the fog will lift - if not, it's nothing I'm not already used to. :)

Thank you so much for the speedy responses - renting a farmhouse near a lake, considering tossing a sax in the suitcase!?!

A colleague of mine at work today showed me some video he took on Monday in North Wales - he drove across Llangollen and over to Snowdonia. Impressive 6 to 8 foot high snowdrifts... and that was low down.

I drove over to Wrexham on Sunday (it's a 30 minute drive). In the town they had 8 12 inches of snow on the pavements and 3 or 4 foot at the sides of teh road was commonplace. Speaking to people who lived a little higher up and they had lanes cut-off with 12 foot plus drifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw some footage on the BBC and the horrible devastation of the farmers with sheep and lambs trapped in the deep snow. The roads in the report looked like tunnels in between the drifts of deep snow. I hope some warm weather heads their way soon, as the report also said many had been without power for almost a week. :(

Whatever you do, make sure you use the passport in your real name, they won't let you on if you use your blues name.

Whatever happens I hope you have a great vacation in the old country ......John

Ps and if you try the Guinness you may find a worse odour than trumpeters feet but give it a try anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
44 days - hopefully the snow will melt and the fog will lift - if not, it's nothing I'm not already used to. :)

Thank you so much for the speedy responses - renting a farmhouse near a lake, considering tossing a sax in the suitcase!?!
If you decide to take a sax, you should be assured of a seat in a pub - most of them seem to have an alcove "reserved for musicians" and musical sessions seem to happen fairly spontaneously. Pick the pub right and you won't find a better atmosphere anywhere - and please don't let well-intentioned warnings put you off trying "the black stuff". Nowhere in the world does it taste better than in the Emerald Isle.

Enjoy your holiday - I am envious already!!

Dave

I saw some footage on the BBC and the horrible devastation of the farmers with sheep and lambs trapped in the deep snow. The roads in the report looked like tunnels in between the drifts of deep snow. I hope some warm weather heads their way soon, as the report also said many had been without power for almost a week. :(

As always its the extreme cases that make the news, dont worry 99% of the UK is functioning normally although there is still some snow in the fields. (In Cannock we even have electric lights and indoor toilets LOL) High ground in Wales and in the north of England seemed to get the worst. I can assure you there has been no snow in Cork, no snow in Ballylanders (my mom's home) and only light snow in Dublin.

As always its the extreme cases that make the news, dont worry 99% of the UK is functioning normally although there is still some snow in the fields. (In Cannock we even have electric lights and indoor toilets LOL) High ground in Wales and in the north of England seemed to get the worst. I can assure you there has been no snow in Cork, no snow in Ballylanders (my mom's home) and only light snow in Dublin.

Thanks so much for the update - I am grateful for the reliable and personal advice given..... also for the good weather report.

We've sorted most of the transportation - RyanAir seems less expensive than the ferries. We are renting two cars and I made sure the rental house had the icon for "pubs within walking distance". Essential.

If anyone happens to be in Waterville the 2nd and 3rd week of May - pints on me!

http://www.waterville-insight.com/waterville-pubs.html

Thanks so much for the update - I am grateful for the reliable and personal advice given..... also for the good weather report.

We've sorted most of the transportation - RyanAir seems less expensive than the ferries. We are renting two cars and I made sure the rental house had the icon for "pubs within walking distance". Essential.

If anyone happens to be in Waterville the 2nd and 3rd week of May - pints on me!

http://www.waterville-insight.com/waterville-pubs.html
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. March is now officially the coldest we've had for 50 years. Temperatures are slowly rising - about 5 or 6C over next few days. Lowland areas are clear of snow - there's a bit in some fields round and about. Only serious in the mountain areas: Snowdonia in Wales, Lake District and other upland areas in England, and Scottish Highlands. On the outskirts of the town where I live, you can see the Welsh mountains (Clwydian hills and Snowdonia) in the distance and they are definitely white!