support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cork and Multiple Mouthpieces - Help Please!!

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Locality
Sturton by Stow, Lincoln
Ever since I was handed my Yani Tenor, it came with a Selmer S80C* mouthpiece, which I like the tone off for the majority of music I've played to date. However, there comes the time when you want to Jazz it up and other stuff, so you start mooching around different mouthpieces ....... or so I'm told.

I have a Rico Metalite M5, and it slides onto the cork just a bit too easy and never gets to a point where it grips anywhere on the cork. Result - I can't get a scale out of the mouthpiece to save my life.

I've seen the recommendations about swelling the cork with a kettle or a soak in water. Changing the cork completely. And using plumbers tape is various small comments. At the moment, I'd rather not be looking to change the cork as it sits perfectly happy with the Selmer and at least I can consistently play with that until I've developed better lungs for the Rico Metalite - it does seem to want sooooo much more air!

So, at the risk of bombardment, and all other options put forward will be welcome, I'd like to ask what techniques work best for the rest of you when you want to use your mouthpieces interchangeably instead of changing your cork to suit just one?

Hi Mell, not sure i can help you with your question, but if you remove the piece after each playing session and put plenty of cork grease on it will have the tendency to expand a little bit and also remain supple enough to get the tighter pieces on as well.

Next time we're at Chris's jam session i will bring a selection of pieces for you to try, be interesting to see how you get on with them.

Teflon tape's the easy answer. Another woud be to try and get someone to put a sleeve in the Metallite.

Teflon tape as Kev said. But to be honest I'd stick with one mpc and learn how to make it work for you..Tone Hmm! that comes from you. Yes certain mpc's can point you in certain directions. At the end of the day it's down to you what you sound like..

Chris...

To temporarily build up a cork I have successfully used Post-It Notes cutting about 1" wide strips from the sticky end and wrapping those around the cork. They go on and off quickly and leave no residue.

Another technique I have read about, but have never tried myself is to "paint" the inside of the shank of the larger mouthpiece with several layers of clear nail polish until the inside diameter matches that of the smaller shank mouthpiece that fits snugly.

The metalite is more of a rock screamer. Loud and bright. The S80 will cope well with Jazz. It's more about phrasing and what you play than outright tone. I'm not one for chopping and changing Mp. Find one you like and stick with it. (till you find a better one that is)

The metalite is more of a rock screamer. Loud and bright.

That's my definition of a good mouthpiece......

As the others have said - PTFE tape is your friend.

Steaming the cork is a good way of expanding it on a one-off basis, but do it too frequently and the cork will both unstick and start to break down. You also need to be really careful you don't steam the lacquer, or it'll be damaged.

This is a problem I have all the time as I'm switching mouthpieces during a gig to achieve an appropriate sound for different styles. My quick fix is a simple thin strip of paper (aprox 2 cm X 5 cm). Lick one side and wrap around. Jbtsax's suggestion is similar. Easy to put on easy to remove so that you can change nearly as fast as you change mouthpieces. Coating the inside of the mouthpiece sounds like a good suggestion as well, but could affect the value/appeal of a valuable mouthpiece (e.g. would someone pay $500 for a Lamberson that had been tampered with?)

Paper is what I've done before too if a mouthpiece is a bit slack. A little strip of paper wrapped once around the cork then slide the mouthpiece on, then chuck the paper once you've finished practice. Saves changing things drastically if you've also got a mp that fits snug.

My solution was to recork the neck for the largest mouthpiece then use some fine emery paper to "fit" the bore of the tighter mouthpiece. Now they both fit the neck nicely.

Similarly to you my short shank C* needs a lot of pink teflon tape to fit my Rev D's cork so I'm loathe to unwrap it everytime I want to play the tight fitting Brilhart or Berg. Too lazy. So I just decided I'd use the C* for everything.

Jazz definitely isn't a problem - nor rock or funk although my Berg would be better suited. Personally, for those genres I think it's more about note choices, rhythm and articulation. And your airstream can add edge if you want it.

I'd recommend fixing your cork for the piece that you prefer for most playing and you'll learn to adapt for other styles.
A good C* is totally adaptable in my opinion - it's pieces like Bergs etc. that can't pull off a legit tone (easily).

neck_revd_lh_small_zps93751396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Milton Jones would say - "your mouthpiece is too big for the cork. You have some sellotape. You know you shouldn't..........."

Has always worked for me, with no problems. End of the day its only a bit of cork which can be easily replaced by any tech or even fellow human.

Teflon tape as Kev said. But to be honest I'd stick with one mpc and learn how to make it work for you..Tone Hmm! that comes from you. Yes certain mpc's can point you in certain directions. At the end of the day it's down to you what you sound like..

Chris...

Hear you loud and clear Chris, however, until I have messed around with a few different mouthpieces and do the chop and change bit to discern what I want, - I have this particular situation.

As yet, I don't know which mouthpiece I prefer because one is too loose to work :)

I haven't heard of PTFE/Teflon tape - what is it and where do I buy it?

Or maybe I just hand over the problem to Littleplum when I see him on Sunday?!! >:)

Soul/Funk is where I'm hoping to be headed for the most part, with some Cantibile stuff on the side, and I've a pal waiting for me to step up and join his motown soul band when I feel I have enough skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard of PTFE/Teflon tape - what is it and where do I buy it?

White plumbers thread sealing tape, any hardware store. There's no glue on it, so it doesn't mess up your cork or mouthpiece. Just wrap it tight around the cork a few times with a good overlap. .

Teflon tape also comes in a thicker variety that is pink. This means less wrapping around the cork.

White plumbers thread sealing tape, any hardware store. There's no glue on it, so it doesn't mess up your cork or mouthpiece. Just wrap it tight around the cork a few times with a good overlap. .

My corks and mouthpieces have NEVER been messed up by sellotape...........................;}