support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Conn-Selmer Premier 380 unlacquered

Saxodent

Hi there,
I have had a Conn-Selmer Premier PTS380 "unlacquered" for about nine months now.
I can honestly say this is the best saxophone I have ever owned.
Intonation,sound,action,etc.
Most people think it is an early Mark VI/SBA when they see it.
I have had a MarkVI,Yamaha 61,Selmer Super Action II,various vintage Conns,Buescher, and none of them compare but it has the essence of them in spades.
I am not saying this is the best horn ever made but when I bought it I tried saxes costing three or even four times the price and they were not four times better and in fact most were not as good.
What I am saying is I did not have a budget or upper price limit in mind when I bought it and this was the best by miles!
So if you want a Super Balanced Action copy in sound and look this is it.

Old vintage saxophones and by that I mean anything from MarkVI's and earlier are just like classic sports cars. They can and do crack 150mph on a track but honestly only in the right hands.
It's the equivalent of an E Type Jaguar with brakes that work that can go round corners and all without all the hassle of rattles,bits falling off ,leaking roof etc.and this one will do 150mph .
But it must be the Premier unlacquered version. I compared it with the lacquered one which was nothing special at al I am afraid which was odd.
If they ever make a Silver Plated one I will be first in the queue to try it.

My bet is that the difference between the laq and RAW versions you tried was more down to sample variation than the actual finish - the Laq one was probably a dud and the RAW one you bought was a sweet build .

this is why TJ have Dave Farley at hand to make sure the Sig Customs are all up to scratch (he even assembles them) , it eliminates this sample variation which can happen from the factory. if the TW factory which makes the C/S Premiere has such wild variation , I`d make sure you get to try a few examples of the silver plated one should they make one ..

I`ve wanted to try a C/S premiere Alto as it`s basically an update of the very underrated (hidden gem) Elkhart Deluxe with a few posh bits added and a RAW option.

I've listened to a few comparisons of the MkVI, SBA using same mouthpiece/reed/player/recording stuff. I much prefer the SBA sound. If this is as good, I'll check them when, at some point in the future, I want an upgrade.

Good to hear you're satisfied.

The best bit is that he describes it as "mint". That's an unlacquered sax covered in corrosion spots. This is a definition of "mint" that I have not previously come across.
It must be an estate agent selling it...................

Hi there,
I have had a Conn-Selmer Premier PTS380 "unlacquered" for about nine months now.
I have had a MarkVI,Yamaha 61,Selmer Super Action II,various vintage Conns,Buescher, and none of them compare but it has the essence of them in spades.
I am not saying this is the best horn ever made but when I bought it I tried saxes costing three or even four times the price and they were not four times better and in fact most were not as good.
What I am saying is I did not have a budget or upper price limit in mind when I bought it and this was the best by miles!

Old vintage saxophones and by that I mean anything from MarkVI's and earlier are just like classic sports cars. They can and do crack 150mph on a track but honestly only in the right hands.
It's the equivalent of an E Type Jaguar with brakes that work that can go round corners and all without all the hassle of rattles,bits falling off ,leaking roof etc.and this one will do 150mph .
But it must be the Premier unlacquered version. I compared it with the lacquered one which was nothing special at al I am afraid which was odd.
I have one too, and I love it. Might ditch the mk VI and get another one actually!

Hi there,

hmmm interesting comments considering I'm after an alto......how do the ergonomics compare to a selmer. or yanni or yamaha? what mouthpiece do you use? Hoping it doesn't have that bright blinding yamaha tone....seriously interseted in as much info as you can impart this way....regards and thanks in advance....cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got some more experience with the premiere pas 380v alto ? I might get my hands on one for about 650 euro. Seems to be a fair price :)

Thanks a lot for your quick response, I’m at an intermediate level and I’m seriously considering this saxophone. The baritone is a great price and I love how it looks.

They are seriously good Saxes.
I have played mine alongside instruments costing up to 10x the price and they didn't sound as good..

They are seriously good Saxes.
I have played mine alongside instruments costing up to 10x the price and they didn't sound as good..
Tell me, because this model came up in a convo on the 'other' sax forum ...and really, seldom are these modern CG Conn/Selmers ever discussed:

~ How long have you had yours ?

~ Besides tone, how has it held up ?
Have you had a tech service it ? Did the tech have any impressions ?

Thanks.

Hi Jaye
Personally have had mine 7-8 years and now still sounds like late 50s Mark VI.
In fact I have a mark VI Octave Key on it !
It is still the best Tenor Sax I have ever owned.
It was originally £1400 for Tenor and about £1000 Alto.
I have got into conversations with many Sax Shop owners who all agree it is a Sleeper .
People overlook it on price or Brand Snobbery .
The Aged Look is a bit odd but I am working on how to remove that .
But the Lacquered Version is just very average!
I have let several big named Pro Players try it out and a all were seriously impressed.
Courtney Pine had one for a while.
It is like an EType Jag with modern engine and brakes underneath.

Back
Top Bottom