Saxophones Conn-Selmer Prelude alto AS700

AlanU

There seems to be very little in the way of recent accounts of these instruments to be found on the net, so I thought I'd give my two-pennyworth for anyone considering buying one.

I did what research I could and was impressed by the review on www.shwoodwind.co.uk and ordered one, without trying it, from www.normans.co.uk (with whom I have no connection), it was delivered in three days.

As Stephen Howard's review implies a good mouthpiece is needed, to get the best from any instrument.

The instrument I got seems to be without flaws (having read all his reviews and the sort of things he comments on led me to examine it very closely).
The finish and build I cannot fault. Everything feels very solid and it is surprisingly, and re-assuringly heavy and robust.
As his review states the spring tension is a trifle heavy, so a few (Blued-steel) springs needed attention. I also gave the mechanism a light oiling, which worked wonders. It could have been in storage getting sticky for yonks.

The case is lightweight, but very rigid with plenty of space for the junk we want to carry about. It looks pretty good too.

This alto speaks so readily! From top to bottom it's there, it's a delight to play and so easy.
One of Mr Howard's comments was that this model sounds darker than other 'cheap' instruments, and this was a big deciding factor for me.

With a metal Link STM it is a bit pushy, but growly around the edges, as you'd expect, but with the Meyer so much sweeter.
Then after a few days I tried the Meyer with a Rovner ligature, this is what I wanted to hear. Richer, darker, fuller (difficult to describe sounds, eh?)

If you're considering a GOOD, but inexpensive alto this is really worth considering.

Oh, did I mention the price?

£230
Incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Col9

Hi Alan, glad your'e enjoying it. My other half Jane had the Ts700 which as you say was well built and a nice easy play.

There is one on ebay at the mo looks like an alto second hand for £425 :))) not sure what they are thinking.

Col.

OP
A

AlanU

Just a little update on what I wrote about this instrument, which puzzles me no end.

I recently lent a spare alto to a guitar player friend, his first try at a wind instrument, and he is really liking it.
I recommended, as a first horn, the Conn-Selmer Prelude, one of which which I bought a month ago for £230 from Normans.

He looked at www.normans.co.uk and the next day pointed out that it is now, in these straitened times, £378.20!

How did that happen?

I'm not saying it is not worth it, I think it is, but why the huge increase?
Did they make a big mistake in their pricing previously? Have World conditions driven up the price?

I just don't get it.
I'm probably just a bear of very little brain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Edwards

I'm not saying it is not worth it, I think it is, but why the huge increase?
Did they make a big mistake in their pricing previously? Have World conditions driven up the price?
No, it was your glowing report made them realise they were undervalued, now look what you've gone and done... hope you've apologised to your mate ;}

Phil

OP
A

AlanU

I do feel a bit awkward. He rushed to the site with such enthusiasm.
I ended up showing him my bank statement so he knew it wasn't a wind-up.

OP
A

AlanU

Update.
They say they bought a big stock ages ago at a low price, new stock has cost them more.

So that really is why mine needed a little lubrication and adjustment.
They also say they'll sell the Conn-Selmer AS701 for £230.

It seems that it's worth making contact.

Tutorials
Top Bottom