All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Conn New Era - Martin stencil

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Can anyone elucidate on this horn for me? What Martin was "stencilled" to make a Conn New Era? Are they any good? Anyone had any experience please?

altissimo

Locality
leicester
some info here - http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?168052-Martin-Stencil-quot-New-Era-quot

most stencils are from the 1920's or early 30's so it's likely to be Handcraft - or at least a no frills version of the Handcraft

http://vintagemartinguitar.net/1940-vintage-new-era-tenor-saxophone-martin-stencil-sax/14177

http://www.divshare.com/slideshow/17655355-c75

http://boston.listlux.com/a,55,520296,Tenor-Sax-Martin-Stencil-----750-Ipswich.htm

strange how they're mostly tenors...

if it's a tenor you're looking at, it'll be worth investigating, I've got a Martin tenor from around 1930/31 and it roars... and I'm not even a tenor player - god knows what it'd be like with a proper set up and in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing...

I don't think there's any Conn connection, maybe you're getting confused with the Conn 'New Wonder'

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Many thanks Altissimo, much appreciated. It is an alto I am looking at or rather someone has offered me the horn for £200. Seems in very good condition but if they are no better than my existing horns then there is no reason to purchase! I though Conn had the New Era name? Am I confused? Do you want to sell your tenor?

altissimo

Locality
leicester
£200 for a Martin and you say there's no reason to purchase...? ;)

although I'm slightly tempted to sell the tenor and there's someone else on here looking for one for a winter project, it's a hard decision for a Martin fancier like me - I'm not yet so desperate for money that I've started selling my saxes and I get the feeling that one day a tenor will come in useful, even though my mate always refers to the tenor as 'the fakers horn'

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Ah Altissimo! A man after my own heart! I could not sell mine either! But the New Era? No case? I shall review and come back to you!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
$_0(1).JPG

Attachments

• $_0(3).JPG
    $_0(3).JPG
    2.4 KB · Views: 147
  • $_0(4).JPG
    $_0(4).JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 156

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I have a bit of a problem with graphics! However the sax is in Manchester and the guy wants £200 for it. It looks good but I have my eye on a Martin tenor. I already have two Handcrafts so if any one wants this guys contact details and more photos please PM me. I will donate the 5% to the charity if someone buys it through my intro. It was on eBay about three months ago for £350. The seller contacted me as he now HAS to sell it.

Reactions: Ads

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
This is too tempting Please will someone buy it. Otherwise my marriage is at risk

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Just received this email regarding the horn.......................

Dear profjames,Hi again, forgive me for not putting the info on earlier, i guess I
assumed you would remember it all from six months ago! :)

As much as i know is this... I got the sax around 10 or 12 years ago
from a customer of mine who used it to pay part of his website
development bill with (I used to run a company). I have only truly
picked it up a dozen times so I feel it should be played far more than
that. It has one small ding on the back by the serial which is shown
on a couple of the photos. The inlays on all the keys is fine and
there is only minimal spotting here and there on the finish which I
have also tried to show on the photos. I got it serviced maybe a year
ago but as I say I have only probably played it for an hour in total
since.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Some pics might help - the ones you posted earlier are about the size of a postage stamp.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Just got a tax refund burning a hole in my gas. I'm interested. I need a proper alto.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
I forgot to advise that I have purchased my project horn, I was determined to hold out for a classic tenor but a Vito Beaugnier alto came up on Ebay for a real bargain price. Anyone who has read any of my posts knows how much I like the Beaugnier marque (I have a tenor which is excellent) so I just couldn't resist it, (sorry Prof).

First impressions suggest I might get away with a good clean and set up, so I might be looking again soon.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Some pics might help - the ones you posted earlier are about the size of a postage stamp.
If anyone wants bigger photos please PM me and I shall email them to you with the guys phone number.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom