support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Conn Naked Lady

ProfJames

Elementary member
Can anyone shine some light on these saxophones please? I have just given £200 for one, it looks like it needs an overhaul......and possibly more! Not seen it yet but she looks like she needed saving!

Good players? Worth spending some money on her?

Yeah, great players very mouthpiece friendly (some would disagree though!) funky neck angle, even funkier strap ring position terrible ergos (but you'll soon adjust to it) and at £200 a real bargain definitely worth spending on!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have done well my boy.

Well, depending what needs doing. When's she arriving? Any photos to post?

I've looked at these as you know. There was a chap London way selling one a while ago cheap but it had an "extra" key missing - was it a G trill or something? Also had part of the bell guard missing. Is it that one?

See you at Geoff's soon!

;}

IMG_7509.jpgYes! The same one! I believe the G trill key was often removed. Geoff can put on a new one!

You are entering into dangerous territory here Prof, a well set up 10M will test your resolve with the Martins. Mine is one of the later and not so prized 10M's but it is the best horn I have played in a long time, a lot of people think they are essentially rock'n'roll pieces but they also have a very good softer side as well, also IMHO they have the best ergonomics of any vintage horn I have played.

You are entering into dangerous territory here Prof, a well set up 10M will test your resolve with the Martins. Mine is one of the later and not so prized 10M's but it is the best horn I have played in a long time, a lot of people think they are essentially rock'n'roll pieces but they also have a very good softer side as well, also IMHO they have the best ergonomics of any vintage horn I have played.

How would the 6M (it is an Alto James?) compare with a Martin Handcraft Committee II?
I understand the Comm II is regarded as one of the best Martins?

:confused:

Never used one but I'll give it a go.....I could always email them to you.........and then you could post them!

As for how would it compare to a Comm II....I have no idea! I have heard a Comm II being played and it sounded superb - maybe Thomsax can help here? - and I have never heard a 6M so I am intrigued like you.

Back
Top Bottom