• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Misc Conn Multi÷Vider

Price of Item
£335 - £290
Other Pricing Info
May consider close offers
Payment Method
Credit/debit card
Your Location
UK
Can ship anywhere
Yes
Shipping Included
Yes
Cafe Fundraising
5%
Allow chat /off topic
Yes
Next up from the Thomasonian collection is this very very rare (esp. in this condition) Conn Multi÷Vider

[but]3458[/but]

multivider-5.jpg

multivider-8.jpg

Conn's answer to the Selmer Varitone, this is a very rare pickup and effects unit for alto/tenor saxophones, clarinet, flute, trumpet and trombone.

It consists of:
  • The effects unit itself. It has a clip on the back so you can wear it on a belt.
  • Pickup which connects instrument to the unit
  • The really cool thing: alto, tenor, clarinet, trumpet, trombone mouthpieces and flute end-stop - all with built in pickup receiver.
  • 2 x attractive naugahyde carrying cases for unit and mouthpieces
The amplified signal has two EQ settings: bright and dark

You can mix the amplified signal with a signal either one or two octaves lower, however there is only one mono output for the mixed signal. The lower octave signals do not pretend to sound like a lower saxophone but they do track dynamics and pitch and sound like a very retro synth.

It also has a soprano setting which is supposed to be one octave higher, but seems to be very similar to the bright EQ so I would describe it as just adding high harmonics with distortion. I think this is just the way it is, and it has been remarked upon at this site which says it is supposed to be a "fuzz" and "fairly farty sounding." I won't dispute that.

For true analogue retro sax effects, this is what you want. Also a very cool item to astonish friends and pets with. It is definitely "of its time" and great for true analog retro effects.

It would be easy for any technician to make and fit a pickup received to your own mouthpiece. The included saxophone mouthpiece have quite a narrow tip opening.

Is it in working order?

Indeed it appears to be except that the battery indicator does not move. But is no big deal of course.

multivider-1.jpg

multivider-2.jpg

multivider-3.jpg

multivider-4.jpg

multivider-6.jpg

multivider-7.jpg

I agree to the rules
Yes
Last edited:
Quite an interesting piece of history. And apparently a fun gadget
I had forgotten all about it untill I got it out to test for selling. The bass and sub base is something I would struggle to reproduce with modern synth, samplers or wind controller so maybe it is something I should keep for an intersting project that needs some quirly retro windsynth tpy sounds.

I had forgotten all about it untill I got it out to test for selling. The bass and sub base is something I would struggle to reproduce with modern synth, samplers or wind controller so maybe it is something I should keep for an intersting project that needs some quirly retro windsynth tpy sounds.

Is that something that could be sampled to make a "virtual instrument" ?

Probably someone has done it already and for the Selmer equivalent.

Rhys

Is that something that could be sampled to make a "virtual instrument" ?
Sorry for late reply.
Theoretically, but it will never be quite as good because when played on the analogue device it follows your own embouchure pitch change, vibrato and dynamics.

To emulate that you'd need a good wind synth controlling. But then you'd not have thye option of mixing in your real actual saxophone sound. Albeit via a pickup, but it's not at all shabby IMO.

So in fact it's a very cool device.

I read an interview with Tom Scott where he states he assisted with the development of the Conn Multi-Vider, he may of used it on his second album "Rural Still Life"...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObG4jiD0cwE

Greg S.
Sounds acceptable for an analogue FX. I had a Sax specific alalogue multi FX unit in about 81 that was absolutely horrible.

If this were a guitar FX the retro coolness of it would make it very sought after . Perhaps if it were one of the Selmer MARK VI multi- vider instead of the Conn ones.

I found a PDF copy of the Tom Scott interview called "Tom Scott guided by his instinct by Steven Rosen" I believe it was originally published in "International Musician" magazine circa 1978/1979/1980 at the time of his "Intimate Strangers" album release. Tom mentions in the article the Conn Multi-Vider was developed to compete against Selmer's Varitone and he would travel to Conn's HQ outside of LA and test the device. He first used it on his debut solo album "Honeysuckle Breeze" released 1967.

About a decade ago I nearly purchased a Selmer Mark VI tenor sax with the Varitone attachment or what was left of it, but the seller wanted something like 12,000 New Zealand dollars for the instrument. :w00t:

Cool effects unit especially with the mouthpieces...

Greg S.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom