support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

SOLD Conn 58M Pan Am Alto - Overhauled

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
o_O

P9285302.JPG

Full SLIDESHOW PHOTOS here: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/24580628

Conn Pan American 58M Alto S/N 62269 from the 50's I think? Wire key guards, same body tube as the 6M.

Love it, but... just not getting used, so on to someone else who needs a vintage Conn.

This had all new pads fitted by the previous owner's tech not long before I bought it in December last year. I telephoned the tech (a lady) at the time and she confirmed she'd used quality pads. It still needed some work when it arrived - tube was banana shaped, low C key "hanging off", and other items, all fixed by Paul Carrington, including changing 2 pads he wasn't happy with - see his invoice at post #10 in this thread: http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/low-c-hanging-by-a-thread-vintage-conn-help.11496/

Also see: http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/interim-gas-just-couldnt-resist-conn-58m-alto.11448/

Some time after Paul it went to Matt at Connollys for some further dent work.

It's in various stages of "patina" from original lacquer... through tarnish... to more shiny where techs have worked on it... to where I polished the bell today so you can read the engraving. Why not fully de-lacquer it (it's nearly all gone!), polish it, let it go dull or brown, the choice is yours! Fabulous vintage Conn sound and swift key work. May need some minor adjustment as these older horns do when not played often, and to set it up as you like it.

Still the odd tiny ripple here and there in the body in awkward places Matt couldn't get to but not noticeably so. Old non-Conn case customised by me to include neck storage slot and cushion pads to protect the sax. Cork end stopper but nothing else included. If you need a strap, mouthpiece, ligature, etc I'm sure I can sort something out for you but I'm guessing the purchaser would be adding this to their collection or have another alto sax already.

Spent a little too much on this indulgence so just hoping to get back what I paid.

£380 collected 5 mins from J1/M6 or J20/M1 or can courier at cost.
Bank transfer please, if couriering.

5% of sale price to Pete's charity. May be withdrawn without notice if sold elsewhere.

P9285338 - Version 2.JPG

P9285323.JPG

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Oh... forgot to say, Paul Carrington even made some of the tiny locking grub screws (See photos - as per 6M) as two were missing or gnarled. He's such a perfectionist! :)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
REDUCED to £360 collected.

:)

altissimo

Locality
leicester
.. I've just had a go on this sax - WOW!!
Compared to my 6M it's pretty similar tonally - that classy Conn sound, vintage but with enough edge when you step on the gas. It can go from smoochy ballads to blowing the doors off and it doesn't seem to be as fussy about mouthpieces as my 6M... this instrument is way better than I'd expect for a 'student' sax
I think the VIII neck on the 6M may be better for multiphonics, but apart from that they're pretty close.
I've tried some tatty old 6M's that were worse than this and twice the price
Paul Carrington has done an excellent job on it, lovely action and it plays superbly, blows from bat squeak altissimo to low Bb without any effort.
The keywork is a little less refined than the 6M - this feels more like a Martin, which is no bad thing in my book.. nice and comfy
A great sax at a great price, particularly considering the expert work that's been done on it..

If the person who changed their mind over buying one of my guitars hadn't done so, I'd have bought it, even so it was a tough choice to make between affording to eat and spending every penny I have on a sax as nice as this.

Thanks for for letting me try this out, a real pleasure
hope someone snaps this up and takes temptation away from me

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Thanks Dave.

Now reduced to £325 collected.

:eek:

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
...and now SOLD to the above and paid for. Thanks Martin.

Listing fee to be paid once buyer has received sax and is happy.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Buyer reports he's happy.

Listing fee paid.

:)

Top Bottom