support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Conn 10m vs Selmer Ref 54

Hi Nigeld I seem to have started something i didn't want to really... not sure whether your saying Pete effamy that impulse buys come from trying out new horns in sax shops so it's ok. Or impulse buys I.e. the selmer of sml are ok as impulse buys. The Conn is fine for me but I have managed to build up a kitty for a tenor. I spent this on a used ref 54 but think I prefer the conn tone and soul. My mate loves the Selmer and wants to buy it. I need to 're invest otherwise I will spend the money but I can raise some cash if I get the sml which I really fancy trying or the series 11. The Conn gives me the harshness I like and tbf I like the idea of a sax that's been round the block. Are either the sml or selmer a good buy regardless of whether there the one...or my hunt continues.. loved the tt but hard to move on would it be the same with an sml. Part of mme is an old romantic and I like the idea of saxes that a certain company has wiped out beuscher conn all etc...though I kinda respect the quality of their horns....
Hi, yes to the shop bit.

I don’t go to a shop to blow on horns for fun, and certainly not when I’m happy with what I have. If I believe there’s something to be had though I will go and fact-find. I might not always buy there and then, but I go back!

A good point I suppose you must ave some intention of buying if your looking.. dangerous game with my pockets...lol

A good point I suppose you must ave some intention of buying if your looking.. dangerous game with my pockets...lol
Yes. Same as test driving cars, it’s free so you may as well do the rounds as you might find something better that you’d never bargained for.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.. with apologies if I have. I guess I haven't looked at it that way. I only play for fun and trawl the used market trying as many as I can. If I find the sax i love I'll stick with it the Conn is the first one I've bought that makes me think wow..but I would like to keep looking..

Shops that provide a good friendly service get repeat custom, recommendations to friends and maybe students too - 30+ from me to one prominent store.

The other thing about finding a horn that makes it really difficult is the range of difference in horns that are the same. Some differences are better or worse but some are just different so each manufacturer doesn’t just have 3 or 4 horns to choose from, there’s sort of any number - so you should try different stuff, occasionally you get a bit of a shock.

.... I seem to have started something i didn't want to really...
.... Are either the sml or selmer a good buy regardless of whether there the one...or my hunt continues.. loved the tt but hard to move on would it be the same with an sml. Part of mme is an old romantic and I like the idea of saxes that a certain company has wiped out beuscher conn all etc...though I kinda respect the quality of their horns....
:cheers: LOL, you haven't started anything, really...we all are just talking horns here, just trying to suss out your motivations.
If you have the $ and the time to buy and resell various saxes, then go for it...why not ?

As you have characterized it at the start of the thread, you were after a modern-keywork horn due to you teacher's comment....and have a 54 but it doesn't motivate you sonically.

If this initial characterization has now developed into a "I love trying all these great makes, old and new, and I don't mind buying 'em and reselling 'em just to have the experience of giving certain models a try...", then again, go ahead and do that. Why not ?

My personal take up to now has been that the SML and SA80 ...those are only on your radar because they are available currently for a good price; not necessarily because you came up with a list of 'wants' and are looking for suggestions on potential models which might fit those wants.
Which again, is fine.

One thing to be careful about here (and I dunno why I am saying this considering I refurb and sell vintage horns)...is that literally every week there are great deals on particular models. So unless one has truly disposable income, one needs to be careful about the "well I hadn't thought of THIS one, but it just popped up for a steal and online reviews say it is a really good horn" scenarios.
Because those scenarios happen very often,, and one can get caught on that carousel quite easily (see "GAS Syndrome").

The second thing worthy of some consideration is: you are a relative newbie, and while even at a beginner stage certain horns will speak to you while others, not....the more developed you become as a player the more discerning you become; so important aspects which may have gone over your head at 1-year of playing becomes quite obvious with 3 or 4 years under your belt.

@eb424 - if you are happy with the sound of your Conn, and if you are not having problems with the ergonomics then I don’t see the point in buying a modern Selmer. You will be better off sticking with the one tenor. Maybe in a few years time you will find a different instrument that you like better, or maybe not, but until then it’s probably best to stick with one horn.
I generally agree with this, actually. This is a valid "Plan A" (if Plan B was as described in my previous comment).
There's no 'harm' done in starting on a 10M, any ergonomic issues will fade as you become intimately familiar with your horn. In which case the second part of Plan A simply becomes : either keep the 54 since you've already got it, or sell it.

@eb424
But if you really want to find a modern horn with a sound that rivals your Conn, then I would have thought that Keilwerth would be a more likely brand to look at than Selmer. Or maybe a TJ Raw.
...or Eastman 640 or 52nd St models.

Thanks all...tbf I really wanted to try the sml as it looked lovely has good projection and sounds similar to a vintage sax apparently...Im only a little chap and do like a horn with a bit of projection but also a deep tone..from what I'm working out sellmers play a bit quieter but have a focused deep tone. I heard the s80 is a bit louder than the ref 54 but still deep good intonation and focused..

I just tried a new S80 II tenor. I had real issues with high G/G#. No one could find the problem so I returned it. On the other hand, I have a S80 II alto which is quite good.

@eb424 I'd like to introduce you to @DavidUK David had bought and sold I don't know how many horns. Read some of his threads, interesting stuff. :)

Jx

I have a few to sell if you're considering an alto? A lovely Conn in amongst them, just serviced...

Picking up my fully overhauled SDA (alto) next week but doubt that will be for sale. I'm hoping it's my forever horn... as I've said about many previous ones too.

Soft spot for Selmer and Conn as well, so keep both your tenors until you don't pick one up for a year! :thumb:

Thanks @DavidUK if I keep both Tenors I'll have to sell the series alto somethings gotta give... Help me im ill

It's not an illness, it's just GAS!

If you are looking for an excuse to keep the Selmer and the Conn, then you could say to yourself, preferably with conviction, that the Selmer is your classical, concert band and small group sax and the Conn is for jazz and rock.

If you say it often enough you may even come to believe it. ;)
Is it true tho is there a difference in projection, genre