Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Saxophones Conn 10m

Tommy Ng

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110491902575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not a bad price i think ... any comment??

Last edited:

jonf

Looks like a lovely sax, at a pretty fair price. It is about ten times as much as my usual limit for buying unseen, though. I'd want to have a very careful look at any sax costing that amount before parting with cash. Also, the sellers feedback is essentially worthless, as he hasn't sold anything on eBay for over five years. Not necessarily a problem, and the advert looks genuine enough, but it's not like you're buying from a trader with a strong track record. Could be a great sax, but I think a trip to visit it would be required for any potential purchaser.

dooce

It's a good age for a 10M and looks right so would fetch that price easily I would think.

fishpond

Hi Tommy
My problem with that sax is that even for the starting bid (and that could double by the end of the auction), you could pretty well buy a brand new walstein, Yamaha etc.
Admittedly, the cool factor,( especially if a set of sunglasses and hat / bandanna & flowery shirt, are thrown in as part of the deal) is on another planet.
Also bare in mind it may need repadding and other work.
Your money, your choice!:):)

OP
Tommy Ng

Tommy Ng

Hi Tommy
My problem with that sax is that even for the starting bid (and that could double by the end of the auction), you could pretty well buy a brand new walstein, Yamaha etc.
Admittedly, the cool factor,( especially if a set of sunglasses and hat / bandanna & flowery shirt, are thrown in as part of the deal) is on another planet.
Also bare in mind it may need repadding and other work.
Your money, your choice!:):)
I still prefer my £150 Jupiter 500 :mrcool

thomsax

I had a Conn 10M like that. It was a #322XXX sax. There was no rolled toneholes on that sax. After WW II Conn started to manfactor saxes without rolled toneholes. I think the the Conn's from the 30's and early 40's are best. I sold mine for half the price (new pads, felt, corks). Ok, it's nearly four years ago. But I think £ 1200 is quite much.

Thomas

Linky Lee

I was in Düsseldorf today and found the most amazing place ever.
It's essentially a repairs workshop but it's in an actual shop on one of the highstreets and completely opened up to the public.

Loads of vintage saxes, mouthpieces and other instruments. I counted at least 12 Sousaphones! They had a gorgeous 10m in gold lacquer, slightly worn in the window... they are really beautiful horns to look at. Never had the pleasure of playing one though.

Was drooling over a sublime vintage Gretch bass drum in the blue oyster shell style finish. Could of spent hours in there but had to get to the airport unfortunately. :crying:

FastFred

I have a 1940 and it is awesome. It does look like the original lacquer and on that basis it looks good value but the reserve may be higher as pointed out.

Moz

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110491902575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not a bad price i think ... any comment??
The listing says that this has a lovely sound but the guy selling it says hasn't really played it as he plays alto sax. I suppose if you like silence then this sax really does have lovely sound. Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Morgan Fry

It's a good vintage of 10M in what appears to be original lacquer in very good shape. The dent in the neck bothers me a little, you'll want that sorted, and in the questions the seller seems to say it's missing a pivot screw. Any horn this age you have to assume will need at least a re-pad when you buy, so factor that into the price, but it looks like a good horn.

I'm out of touch with what vintage horns are going for these days, but if I were spending £2000+ on a tenor right now, I would much rather get this and have it overhauled than get any new Taiwanese or Chinese horn (or probably Japanese or French or German, for that matter).

jonf

For £2,000 I'd get a Yanagisawa T901 every time. Great horn and it'll still be great after several years playing with no real attention. However, if (and it's a very big if) that Conn plays well at £1200 it's a good buy. As I said, I'd want to see it and look over it very carefully. If it does play well, at least it won't depreciate at all. Keep it maintained and it'll hold its current value.

On the other hand, if it does need a complete repad and an overhaul I wouldn't touch it. OK, it could be done within the cost of a decent modern horn if you could get it for close to the start price, but for me at least it wouldn't be worth the hassle. It might sound slightly different to a modern horn such as a T901, but you can get a hell of a lot more variation in sound by changing the mouthpiece than the sax, and the ergonomics of a modern horn will be far better.

Jon

Morgan Fry

Yeah, the Yanis are good horns. These old Conns are built like tanks, though. Set up right, it'll hold regulation for years. (not that a Yani won't, just sayin'). and yeah, a mouthpiee will make more difference, but there's something in the sound of a good old Conn that you just can't get elsewhere. I'm with you on the ergonomics, though. The Conns all need the strap ring moved, and even then I can't play them. You gotta have HUGE hands to play Conn tenors comfortably I think.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
May be the opening bid is higher than a lot of people like. Could work in your favour. High opening bids often put people off, and lower opening bids can get people bidding and competing. If you're keen, work out what it's really worth to you, allow for repairs/adjustment and bid that - but don't initiate the bidding until the last 10 seconds or so. That way you won't be pushing people into prices you're not willing to pay.

jonf

The Conns all need the strap ring moved, .
Particularly bad on the Conn C Mel. I've got one and had to move the ring nearly 6cm to get it to a balance point. Without it, thumb agony within 20 minutes, and I've got big hands. It does play well though. With an Aquilasax curved crook new pads with metal reflectors and a modern mouthpiece, it sounds great, a slightly higher pitched tenor sort of tone.

Clivey

Well my 2p says the initial asking price seems a bit high to allow much movement but probably represents the reserve.

I have a 26xxxx 1935 10m which I payed £700 for in the mid 80`s. I feel the horn is worth about double that now. It is a lovely Tenor, really petite when compared with Others.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom