All profit supporting  special needs music education

Saxophones Conn 10m

Jamesmac

Just got back in, (after enjoying some time with my Conn 10 M) and thought I would share a few thoughts re. Vintage saxes. What's going on, or is it just me. Been playing a Modern middle of the range Tenor. great response, always reliable and will deliver. Have recently aquired 2 Conn 10Ms from the US. One has had a full overhaul, despite still needing some further tweaking with the octave mechanism,
( as it was badly bent in transit) and the other is with the same tech as we speak. My point is. Both of these instruments despite not being at 100% ( as a famous add says) reach the parts that others don't reach. Go figure.

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Just got back in, (after enjoying some time with my Conn 10 M) and thought I would share a few thoughts re. Vintage saxes. What's going on, or is it just me. Been playing a Modern middle of the range Tenor. great response, always reliable and will deliver. Have recently aquired 2 Conn 10Ms from the US. One has had a full overhaul, despite still needing some further tweaking with the octave mechanism,
( as it was badly bent in transit) and the other is with the same tech as we speak. My point is. Both of these instruments despite not being at 100% ( as a famous add says) reach the parts that others don't reach. Go figure.

Keep the best one for yourself Jim . Have you noticed how much lighter they are in weight to modern ribbed made tenors .

Jamesmac

Keep the best one for yourself Jim . Have you noticed how much lighter they are in weight to modern ribbed made tenors .

Yes that's the idea Clive. They both play great, so looking forward to living with both amd keeping one. The 1948 is about the same weight as the YTS 32, but the 1958 is a lot heavier, lucky I use a Saxholder. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
My point is. Both of these instruments despite not being at 100% ( as a famous add says) reach the parts that others don't reach. Go figure.

Same thing happened to me with my 10m, they have that "something special" you can't describe, when people ask me about which saxes I think are good I say "you will know when you play it", it's the only way to find what is right for you.

IMHO I sound pretty much the same on most horns I play, but the 10m adds that bit extra because it "fits" me, as you say , go figure.

Jamesmac

Actually if I'm perfectly honest, I would prefer to keep it to myself, and take all the credit, for anything I play with a 10M. But at the same time I couldn't stop myself starting this thread.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
The 10M is famous for its sound but what I`ve wondered is how the affordable 16M stacks up, I`ve never played or even heard one live.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
The 10M is famous for its sound but what I`ve wondered is how the affordable 16M stacks up, I`ve never played or even heard one live.

The early Elkhart made ones can be very good, I have no experience of the later ones. A 1955 16m was my first tenor a few years ago and I'm sure that first experience was "instrumental" in my current choice. As with any purchase "try before you buy" is the watchword if your looking for a keeper.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Hmm, it`s the late/early thing again, I`ll have to do some research into when the Elkhart made ones ceased . 16Ms are going for around the £450 mark, the ones about are too far away to be checked out in person . sadly a 10M is too much for a second Tenor for me .

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Hmm, it`s the late/early thing again, I`ll have to do some research into when the Elkhart made ones ceased . 16Ms are going for around the £450 mark, the ones about are too far away to be checked out in person . sadly a 10M is too much for a second Tenor for me .

My 10m is a 1963, no lady, no Mercedes key guards, no RTH, no shine, (I stripped all the lacquer because it was patchy now it has a nice dull patina). I did an A/B with one that had all the above, it's probably my lack of experience but overall I could not find a lot of difference, possibly because I play it a lot but I actually preferred mine. There's a story that all production moved from Elkhart in the 70's, but Saxismyaxe on here knows the Conn story and thinks that that the Artist M series continued production at Elkhart, I think he has a later 10m that he likes, so it is possible to own one for a reasonable price.

Jamesmac

My 10m is a 1963, no lady, no Mercedes key guards, no RTH, no shine, (I stripped all the lacquer because it was patchy now it has a nice dull patina). I did an A/B with one that had all the above, it's probably my lack of experience but overall I could not find a lot of difference, possibly because I play it a lot but I actually preferred mine. There's a story that all production moved from Elkhart in the 70's, but Saxismyaxe on here knows the Conn story and thinks that that the Artist M series continued production at Elkhart, I think he has a later 10m that he likes, so it is possible to own one for a reasonable price.

I didnt find a difference comparing the 1948 and the 1958,in their present condition, but i will have a better idea when i have both back from the tech next week. The 1958 has the nickel keys and weighs quite a bit more than the 48.perhaps after the war, and the availability of metals was a factor.The pre- 1948 that have the RTH are the more collectable , but probably dont play any better. more the individual horn would be the factor, i would think. From what i have read, the 60,s 10Ms are the same, but you can pick them up a bit cheaper.

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA

The 16M can be a sweet playing horn. I've owned a '55 10M, and currently have a '37 10M and a '64 16M. The only major difference in my horns is that the 16M has concave key pearls and the '37 10M has domed pearls. That big boomy Conn sound is there on both.

Top Bottom