All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Commission sales on instruments

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Hi all,

Just a general question, please. What do you think is a reasonable commission for a shop to charge on any instrument sales they undertake on your behalf? I know for auctions on larger household items it can be as high as 25%. Thanks in advance.

griff136

Hi Sue, I know at a couple of places I have worked the charge has been 15 - 20% and decreasing as the instruments being sold get higher in value.

You must consider that any commission a shop may charge will be liable to VAT so from january 20% of the retailers cut will be tax.

I understand that 20% may seem a big cut however, bear these factors in mind, the shop should advertise your item - one shop I work for take top quality pictures of the item being sold and place them on their website, usually once its been through the workshop(at your expense) the shop may offer some sort of guarantee, the item has to be securely stored and insured whilst in the shops custody,and they sell the item on your behalf so they expect a decent return.

Sue

Subscriber
Thanks Griff, I thought 20% was okay bearing in mind the factors you mention. I have been quoted 25% by a local(ish) shop and thought that was a bit steep. Depends on how much they sell for I guess and I believe they would achieve a higher price than selling oneself.

milandro

Around my part of the world 20% is a fairly accepted commission. Many shops are not really interested in offering a saxophone under a " consigned sale" agreement because it actually competes with their own horns being offered where they, most of the times, make more money that they would be making by selling yours.

Sue

Subscriber
I've found 20% to be fairly standard so have decided against the local 25% shop as they would not negotiate terms. I'm selling 5 saxes (a bari, a tenor 2 altos and a sop) so not an inconsiderable amount of commission to be had. I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell myself, viewings, packaging, courier blah blah so 20% is well worth it to me.

milandro

sure, 20% is reasonable, but should you find other buyers in the meantime, do retain the right to pull any of the saxophones from their sale to sell privately. I once had a saxophone for more than one year in a shop and didn't sell, while I sold it privately. Also, in my part of the world, saxophones sold locally are also picked up by the buyers and very rarely shipped (but yes, Holland is a small country)

rhysonsax

I've found 20% to be fairly standard so have decided against the local 25% shop as they would not negotiate terms. I'm selling 5 saxes (a bari, a tenor 2 altos and a sop) so not an inconsiderable amount of commission to be had. I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell myself, viewings, packaging, courier blah blah so 20% is well worth it to me.
Might be worth advertising through this forum where there is a ready supply of sax-o-nuts, some with serious collecting habits. 20% saved on a quick sale would help persuade me to do a bit of packing and going to Parecl Force depots. Some of the forum people probably live close enough to you to remove the need for packaging etc.

Just as a purely hypothetical question (not for me you understand) what are the 5 saxes you are selling ?

Rhys

Sue

Subscriber
Thanks Rhys for your comments :)

They are:
Yani Bari B901
Yamaha YTS875
Yani Alto A992
Selmer Cigar Cutter (1933) Alto
Yani SC 992 sop

John (husband)no longer plays and I have my own alto and sop and have no desire to play bari or tenor. We live near Lincoln so a bit out of the way of most forum members, I think. I'm in no desperate rush to sell and keep thinking I'll hang on to them.

I did wonder about advertising on here, but I haven't a clue how much they are worth (I am generally clueless about most things). Googling around they're aren't many of these available online pre used. I could take them to local shop to have valued but as I wont be using them I don't feel it's fair on them to waste their time.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhysonsax

Thanks Rhys for your comments :)

They are:
Yani Bari B901
Yamaha YTS875
Yani Alto A992
Selmer Cigar Cutter (1933) Alto
Yani SC 992 sop

John (husband)no longer plays and I have my own alto and sop and have no desire to play bari or tenor. We live near Lincoln so a bit out of the way of most forum members, I think. I'm in no desperate rush to sell and keep thinking I'll hang on to them.

I did wonder about advertising on here, but I haven't a clue how much they are worth (I am generally clueless about most things). Googling around they're aren't many of these available online pre used. I could take them to local shop to have valued but as I wont be using them I don't feel it's fair on them to waste their time.
Hi Sue,

Those are all really nice instruments.

One option for getting an idea on value is to look through eBay at what the selling prices have been for those, or very similar, instruments. It will probably result in quite a range and would probably be regarded as an indication of the lower limit of what you could get, if your particular instruments are in nice condition and you are prepared to wait for a buyer.

Another option is to use "the wisdom of the crowd" or in this case the "wisdom of the cafe". This forum seems to attract (or maybe retain) only nice people, which is a tribute to Pete. Forum members with no axe to grind could give you a personal view on what these instruments are worth and then you could look at the average, or consider which estimates seem most convincing.

Here is my stab (assuming that they are in nice playing condition with no major dents, no leaks, decent case but no mouthpiece). New prices taken from sax.co.uk today (incl. VAT) and estimates based on me spending too much time monitoring the price of used saxophones on the internet:
Yani Bari B901 new price £4,097 used £1,800 - £2,300
Yamaha YTS875 new price £3,166 used £1,100 - £1,900
Yani Alto A992 new price £3,056 used £1,100 - £1,700
Selmer Cigar Cutter (1933) Alto used £1,000 - £1,400
Yani SC 992 sop new price £2,583 used £1,300 - £1,500

A couple of things about those prices above. New prices for good imported instruments have gone up recently as the pound has depreciated, so those sax.co.uk prices today will be quite a lot more than a buyer would have paid two or three years ago. Used prices have gone down recently as the economy has gone bad and as good, cheap Asian horns have been available new.

As always, the value of something depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. Find the right person (or better still two people to compete) and you could do well. Sell in a hurry and you could have to settle for a lot less than this.

Rhys

griff136

I agree with Rhys's post.

If you can get the saxes to John Myall in Croydon ( www.justflutes.co.uk) he may be able to do you a deal on the commission seeing as you are selling 5 saxes. The pre owned stuff tends to do quite well in the shop.

Give him a ring 0208 6628400 and ask for John.

All decent saxes that should sell.

Sue

Subscriber
Wow thanks Rhys for doing this great research - maybe I should just hire you and pay you commission, lol. And thanks also Griff - I hadn't thought of John Myalls. Dare I venture into old git's territory?

Nick Cook

Hi Sue,

I'm in the market for a new Tenor. Might be interested in the Yamaha YTS875. What can you tell me about it? Do you have pics?

Ta

Nick

Sue

Subscriber
Will send you some by email :)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom