jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Me too. I would (probably will, if it's available) go for a 7

Jon

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Very nice - I'll have one of those please. I thought my Jody Jazz HR was as good as I could get, but the PPT definitely works better for me on my BH bronze sop with Hahn or Vandoren blue or green box reeds, so long as I use a metal lig rather than a flexy one. Lovely full, mellow tone, top end much more playable, no intonation worries. Nice one, Pete!

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Ok, well we are going to make these in 5,6,7 and possibly 8.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Er, I've got confused who has the #6, as I'm going to need it back soon.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK

I think that Dooce has/had it and I'm next on the list. But a couple of weeks ago I had a message from him saying that he was going abroad for a couple of weeks from today and I don't know whether it has been sent on yet.

I'll let you know if it arrives and won't hold onto it for more than a day or two.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK

Hi Pete,

It has just arrived in this morning's post and I'm really looking forward to giving it a blow. Shall I send it back to Thomas Towers when I have finished ?

Rhys

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I've had a proper play on the PPT 6 using my Yanagisawa SC991 and Rico Jazz Select 3H reeds with Vandoren Optimum lig. Here are my thoughts.

The PPT looks great and unusual - like its tenor and bari siblings. The body is a little slimmer than my favourite soprano mouthpieces which are a Berg Larsen and a Selmer HR, but the Vandoren Optimum still fits and holds the reed well. The PPT is comfortable in the mouth, with a fairly conventional beak shape, unlike the Berg which is more like a clarinet. Once you get used to the Berg it is quite nice and it opens up the mouth.

The sound of the PPT is very much in the area that I like for soprano - which is quite sweet and singing and not nasal (like an oboe or that Selmer metal Soloist sound). The intonation is good, once it is in the right place on the cork, which is nearly all the way down. That seems to be common for many mouthpieces on this SC991.

It's got a bit more resistance than either my Berg (65/2) or my Soloist (refaced to 0.065" also), but it is good resistance that gives something to push against. It seems pretty even from to to bottom of the horn and loud enough, sounding a bit louder, from the player's perspective, than the Berg, but not quite as loud as the Selmer.

Overall I would be very happy to have it as my main piece, but I've got too many already so it's got to go back !

Thanks Pete.

Rhys

PS Could you PM or email me the address for where I should send it on to ?

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom