All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Coltrane at speed!

Lerome

I came across this Youtube video this evening while looking for some nice sounds.

As a raw beginner, hearing the music and watching the excellent (and skilful) animation of the sheet music just brought home to me the consummate skill displayed by this master of the sax (and how far I have to travel....:().

I am sure many will have seen this, but just in case any haven't it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kot...ext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXdAOWdLfJqreSUZRJ3kUoqm

Taz

Busking Oracle
Oh my god, who gave the spider an ink pen anyway....... I take my hat off to all you guy's who can read the dots.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
THAT'LL PROBABLY TAKE A BIT OF PRACTICE FOR ME TO GET RIGHT.....50YRS MIGHT DO IT

did you notice how the very last notes were so quick they never appeared:w00t:

Two Voices

Awesome! Miles was a big influence on Coltrane when writing 'Giant Steps'. I purchased the Giant Steps book a little while back to try and learn the pieces. It’s slowly coming together!

My teacher once said to me, the best way to play fast is to play slow and with plenty of practice build up your speed.

I usually spend a couple of days playing the notes in order to memorise the passages. I find it easier to play from my head than read sheet music. I do occasionally glace at the sheet in order to keep my place on long pieces though. Once I got the passages in my head I try on get the rhythm from the CD. That usually takes me a while. Then I start building up my speed until I get it!

Scales really help in getting those fingers moving faster. I will play the scale in the relevant key for days to build up the speed. Coltrane loved using Modal Scales in his work. So it is important to practice the scale to get the speed! Once you’ve committed that scale to your head in will get faster and faster then playing the piece won’t seem so hard.

Hope this makes sense?

trimmy

One day i will...
My teacher once said to me, the best way to play fast is to play slow and with plenty of practice build up your speed.

Ditto, my teacher said that to me, which does make sense because your fingering will memorise the notes then your speed will build up (hopefully) it sounds so simple but we know it isn't.

Lerome

Oh my god, who gave the spider an ink pen anyway....... I take my hat off to all you guy's who can read the dots.
Yep. I am great at reading the notes.

Playing them is my biggest challenge.:(

The problem I have initially faced (not having a teacher here) has been working out the fingering for the chromatic scale. Six of my fingers manage to find a home OK, but the little fingers are getting really lost on the myriad keys sprinkled around. Practice will sort that out, and I am looking forward to finding time for more of that.

And I was under the mistaken impression that the fingering would be similar to that of an oboe. Wrong. There are many differences. Enough to mean a fresh start.

Patience, patience.:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom