support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Colin Stetson

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I bet he's a bit Marmite.

http://youtu.be/k9YJM2GCvk8

I thought it was done with loops and digital delay of some kind like that Ed Alleyn Johnson does with the violin, but no. Apart from some amplification and added pickups for percussion and voice it's all live. Circular breathing and singing through a bass. Impressive, if a little odd.

http://youtu.be/UejNbSrJIuA

I've a few of his albums. Yup, unusual, but I rather like it.

Just picked up on this Colin.
Here's "How to do it"

I too thought it was loops and digital delay. Mental but a good find.

Sorry just noticed you've posted the link. Kev can delete this if he wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Must wear me specs!!

Last edited by a moderator:
guess it's too late to delete it without destroying the laughs...

must admit I'm clueless about marmite in this context. Probably better I don't know. ;}

was anyone else looking for an air line going up his trouser leg ?

The elegant thing about him is that he's solved the problem of what to do with all the extra oxygen from circular breathing.

I saw him live 10 or so years ago at the Vancouver Jazz Festival in a small venue. It was fascinating. He has blown away forever the notion that the saxophone is a monophonic instrument.

It's not something I'd listen to for enjoyment, but it's impressive as all hell. And it's basically done naturally (other than contact microphones, which amplify something but don't create it).

It's not something I'd listen to for enjoyment, but it's impressive as all hell. And it's basically done naturally (other than contact microphones, which amplify something but don't create it).
Nice to see some new Earthlings commenting

Colin Stetson fascinates me- it almost feels like he's approaching the saxophone without any regard /knowledge of what one is 'supposed' to do with a sax. Rebuilding how one makes music with this big piece of metal from the ground up. also- the raw physicality of his live performance is phenomenal as a piece of 'musical athletics'

Marmite for sure, but undeniably technically impressive.
Machines, Arpegiators, do this kind of stuff .CS emulates the machines designed to emulate humans. Full Circle?

Back
Top Bottom