All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Coffee

MarJeda

I moved over from just instant coffee in a jar - to buying a cafetiere (I think that's the right word) the glass jug with a plunger device machine - and coffee tastes so much nicer nowadays.

I refuse on principle to buy 'coffee' from the Starbucks type shops, as they mostly taste of syrup and for the price of 1 of their cups - I could buy a packet from a supermarket that lasts me a couple of weeks.

How do you get your morning fix?

navarro

Hi Mar I only drink de-caff so it does not make much difference to me, but friends tell me there is a huge difference and endorse your statement. I asked my confidante Arry how himself and Mum Petal got their morning fix. Arry went red and refused to comment, but stated and I quote. `Mum gets er fix by a bit er D.I.Y.`(She recently enrolled on a Ladies Mid life crisis Plasteres Course, at our local evening class institute.) Regds.I used to like going over waterfalls in a barrel. but H&S stopped me because of damage to frogs spawn. N.

MarJeda

Hmmmmm, are you sure that's decaf you're drinking?

That second half of what you wrote didn't make any sense to me?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
That second half of what you wrote didn't make any sense to me?
He has this habit of switching from serious to joking mid post or even mid sentence.:shocked: Take all his posts witha pinch of salt. And then think twice... ;}

Gandalfe

I'll do a pricey cup o' Joe when I'm traveling, but in Seattle prefer Motore's to Starbucks. I do get a lot of Starbucks gift cards though. I like to remind my health-conscious friends that since coffee comes from a bean, I consider it a serving of vegetables. ;)

But mostly I'm a pod person using my Keurig single-cup brewer as Suzy doesn't do coffee. That too was a gift. But the K-cups cost more than most wanna spend.

Jazzaferri

Spaziale S1 ..... Plumbed and always ready ...... KitchenAid DD Grinder .......

life is too short to drink bad coffee

Na can be quite naughty;};}

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

Life's definitely too short to drink bad coffee. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee, but I don't think I could manage without it - I think I'd even rather give up wine than coffee!

I really can't face the day without coffee, but weekdays I have to get up early for a long bike ride to work. I have a filter machine with a timer, so there is a fresh brew ready as soon as I tumble out of bed. Then, when I get to work I have a cafatiere, and that sees me through the day.

MarJeda

Take all his posts witha pinch of salt. And then think twice... ;}
Salt in coffee?

I have mine strong and blue top milk, as I like the full flavours and cholesterol levels are fun to build up :D

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Ideally, buy freshly roasted beans and grind them yourself (they go off very quickly). Ideally, beans should have been roasted within the last 10 days and if ground, keep in an airtight container and use within a few days. There are suppliers that do mail-order of freshly-roasted beans. If you are very lucky, there are a few grocers that still roast on the premises (e.g. Godfrey Williams in Sandbach in Cheshire).

Decent coffee is about £25 per kilo. The coffee my local coffee shop uses costs about that. The big chains pay about £10 per kil and use single-shot per serving rather than double-shot, so they are making over 4 times the profit of a little independent that does it properly.

I prefer something like Ethiopian or Yemeni Mocha or perhaps Kenya AA. Grind my own and use a filter cone and paper.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Plus 1 for Lavazza Nick. My Daughter bought my wife Sue some syrups for Christmas (choc,hazelnut and caramel) and they're blooming ghastly. Sweet doesn't come near to it. Might try them in puds.

Cheapo Espresso machine, double shot and off I go. Then it's Yorkshire tea all day.

PaulM

Life's definitely too short to drink bad coffee. I think I'd even rather give up wine than coffee!
Other opinions are available, but drinking poor quality wine may be even worse than consuming instant coffee. Honest guv, I've tried, and tried.

I have to get up early for a long bike ride to work.
Respect. I am not worthy. I wonder, does playing the sax count as an aerobic activity too?

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Peasants, all of you.

The only way is Jamaican Blue Mountain and either Cona or Boden vacuum method but I sometimes descend into cafetierre or even filter.

Have a local noshery run by Caribbeans that not only offers the best vegetarian breakfast in the CaSLM area but also offers Blue Mountain. It also has an alcohol licence. Thinking of moving in.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Peasants, all of you.

The only way is Jamaican Blue Mountain and either Cona or Boden vacuum method but I sometimes descend into cafetierre or even filter.

Have a local noshery run by Caribbeans that not only offers the best vegetarian breakfast in the CaSLM area but also offers Blue Mountain. It also has an alcohol licence. Thinking of moving in.
I take it OG that revenue generation from the CaSLM enforcement branch is doing well? Last timne I checked (not recently) Jamaican Blue Mountain was running at about £80 per kilo...

Young Col

TV you're making a huge assumption that OG actually buys his coffee...

Yorkshire Tea. Now you're talking Andrew.
No-one has mentioned Camp coffee in this thread yet, so I thought I would.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Life's definitely too short to drink bad coffee. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee, but I don't think I could manage without it - I think I'd even rather give up wine than coffee!

I really can't face the day without coffee, but weekdays I have to get up early for a long bike ride to work. I have a filter machine with a timer, so there is a fresh brew ready as soon as I tumble out of bed. Then, when I get to work I have a cafatiere, and that sees me through the day.
That must be one hell of a bike ride how far is that.....john

BigMartin

Agreed Blue Mountain is best, but horribly expensive. My preference for affordablity and flavour (+ it's Fairtrade) is CafeDirect Kilimanjaro. That's for the Cafetiere. Espresso is another story.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom