support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clunky bottom C on new horn

Jobylou

Locality
Chipping Campden
Hi
My new Conn Selmer Premier arrived today and it is great, but I noticed that the bottom C pad sounds really clunky, I videoed it (wont upload here for some reason) and emailed it to Curly Woodwind who I bought it from. They said that the other one they have in is the same and they are going to ask their tech about it on Saturday but I just wondered if this is something I shoukd ge concerned about.
Thanks for any advise.
Jo

Hi
My new Conn Selmer Premier arrived today and it is great, but I noticed that the bottom C pad sounds really clunky, I videoed it (wont upload here for some reason) and emailed it to Curly Woodwind who I bought it from. They said that the other one they have in is the same and they are going to ask their tech about it on Saturday but I just wondered if this is something I shoukd ge concerned about.
Thanks for any advise.
Jo
Hi Jo,
You are concerned so stay concerned until it's sorted to your satisfaction. Then you'll have peace of mind. Keep on at Curly until they sort it and keep us posted on progress. You're halfway there that they have agreed with you so I guess their tech will adjust the one they have then ask you to bring yours in for the same treatment.

If you have no joy contact The MaSLM we can arrange a visit :cool:

"Clunky" can mean different things. Does it make the noise when the key goes down and the pad hits the tonehole, or does it make the sound you don't like when the key comes back up?

• Respectfully Disagree
Reactions: MMM
Hi Jo,
You are concerned so stay concerned until it's sorted to your satisfaction. Then you'll have peace of mind. Keep on at Curly until they sort it and keep us posted on progress. You're halfway there that they have agreed with you so I guess their tech will adjust the one they have then ask you to bring yours in for the same treatment.

Thank you for your reply David, the only issue is that I am miles away from Curly, I bought it mail order. i will see what they say Saturday, but I just wondered if a clunky C key was normal? None of my other horns clunk so I am assuming its not!

"Clunky" can mean different things. Does it make the noise when the key goes down and the pad hits the tonehole, or does it make the sound you don't like when the key comes back up?

It is when the pad hits the tonehole.

1. Don't press so hard.
2. Try to not to wake up so early worrying about it.

1. I'm not pressing hard.
2. Waking up at 4 something is not unusual for me, I'm tired now though!

Getting up at 4 isn't unusual for me either but that's age, I go back to bed again.
Is the clunk so loud you are hearing it when playing or just when pressing the keys?
Because just when pressing them I'd say on mine the C has more of a clunk than the others but jut because it 'echoes' from its position.

Getting up at 4 isn't unusual for me either but that's age, I go back to bed again.
Is the clunk so loud you are hearing it when playing or just when pressing the keys?
Because just when pressing them I'd say on mine the C has more of a clunk than the others but jut because it 'echoes' from its position.

Yes, you an hear it when you play! I have 4 other horns and none "clunk" they just make a normal pad noise, you are right though it is slightly louder on the C, but my new hirn definately CLUNKS, it is brand new, that is why I am concerned.

Yes, you an hear it when you play! I have 4 other horns and none "clunk" they just make a normal pad noise, you are right though it is slightly louder on the C, but my new hirn definately CLUNKS, it is brand new, that is why I am concerned.
Curlys are a well respected shop and have excellent after sales service. I am sure they will rectify any problems. I believe Curly is a member of this forum as well.

Yes, that's noisy.
I suppose suggesting just playing louder wouldn't be regarded as helpful?

Yes, that's noisy.
I suppose suggesting just playing louder wouldn't be regarded as helpful?

Reminds me of the guy who left his car at the garage to have his brakes repaired. When he came to pick it up the mechanic told him. Well II couldn't repair the brakes, but I made your horn louder:)

MaSML is an in-house reference to "Manchester and South Lancashire Massif" which is any Forum members loosely in the NW who occasionally get together. I think Trimmy was suggesting that the "boys" pay a visit ;)

Various members have used Curly and have had good service, so I ma sure it will be resolved.

On occasion I have seen a low C key that was hitting a guard screw on its downward travel. You might check for that. There is naturally a sound when the pad hits the top of a tonehole---especially on larger keys. Generally it is more of a dull "thud" than a "clunk". Any key noise is exaggerated by loose guard screws, a loose fitting bumper screw, a key that is not tight on its hinge rod, or a hinge tube not tight between the posts. Additionally a pad with a harder leather and/or felt will be more percussive than a pad with a softer leather and/or pad. Hope you get it sorted out. Give it a close inspection and let us know what you find out.

Thank you for your reply jbtsax, I am not very technical to be honest so am not too sure what I am looking for!
Just had a reply from Curly Woodwind:

"Just seen your video and don't think there's too much to worry about. The Conn Selmer's have fairly hard pads and can be a little noisy at first until they've been played in - also they're set up with really light springs which means they have a quicker response but don't need as much pressure applied ie you don't have to press as hard with your finger which could add to a little pad noise.
Play it in for a few days and let me know how you get on."

Perhaps I should have expressed don't press so hard as:
Try not to exert more pressure than is needed to overcome the resistance of the spring.

Perhaps I should have expressed don't press so hard as:
Try not to exert more pressure than is needed to overcome the resistance of the spring.

I am not pressing hard!!!

Back
Top Bottom