Tutorials

Saxophones Clearly a New Tenor Sax

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I'm not sure why anyone would want one of these as they aren't particularly cheap. They certainly won't last with plastic keys and parts, and I'm certainly not sure about how attractive it may be to see the moisture forming inside and dripping down. If not kept very clean that can probably turn into some nasty looking grunge after a short while.

If you've got money to waste on a novelty, well then have at it. IMHO it misses the cheap student market that I'd have considered best for a plastic sax.

QWales

I'm not sure why anyone would want one of these as they aren't particularly cheap.
Have you ever held one, they are amazingly light. Would be great for anyone suffering from a bad back or getting on a bit and thinking they'll have to give up because they just can't cope with the weight of a metal tenor any longer

Hackenbush

Have you ever held one, they are amazingly light. Would be great for anyone suffering from a bad back or getting on a bit and thinking they'll have to give up because they just can't cope with the weight of a metal tenor any longer
Exactly. I'm very slightly built and, although I love the sound of the tenor sax, could never contemplate playing one as I don't think I'd ever be able to get comfortable supporting the weight (even with the aid of a harness).

The problem with the Vibrato is that it looks like a novelty item and not a proper instrument - I mean, apart from show-offs, who wants to play a transparent sax?

I think the manufacturer has missed a trick here as there must be a fairly substantial market for a range of properly designed, well-engineered (opaque) plastic saxes.

stitch

I think the manufacturer has missed a trick here as there must be a fairly substantial market for a range of properly designed, well-engineered (opaque) plastic saxes.
Whether properly designed and well engineered is open to debate, but opaque Vibrato saxes have been on the market for a number of years.

Hackenbush

Whether properly designed and well engineered is open to debate, but opaque Vibrato saxes have been on the market for a number of years.
True, but their alto still looks like a toy (and plays like one, apparently).

The Grafton plastic alto has metal keys and was good enough for both Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman...and just looks like a proper sax.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
True, but their alto still looks like a toy (and plays like one, apparently).

The Grafton plastic alto has metal keys and was good enough for both Charlie Parker and Ornette Coleman...and just looks like a proper sax.
But the Grafton was brittle and parts broke off it easily. I can't see myself playing any plastic saxophone but it's an option for those who need a light weight instrument.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
I went on a playing course last year when there was and old guy unable even to use a metal alto due to severe neck problems and while the sound wasn't exactly pleasing he could sure play the thing.

vries1

Subscriber
I for one think it is fantastically commendable that a small company in Thailand really innovates - it's not copying an existing horn for cheap and slapping a new logo on it, or very slightly tweaking a mature design. Vibratosax are really trying new things and they address issues seen on previous iterations.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Exactly. I'm very slightly built and, although I love the sound of the tenor sax, could never contemplate playing one as I don't think I'd ever be able to get comfortable supporting the weight (even with the aid of a harness).
Buy a 'regular' tenor sax and buy a stand or two...the kinds which allow you to play standing or sitting while horn is secure on stand.
The problem with the Vibrato is that it looks like a novelty item and not a proper instrument - I mean, apart from show-offs, who wants to play a transparent sax?
Who wants to play an opaque plastic sax ? Not many people, really.

I mean...are these dirt, dirt cheap ? The way those plastic trombones are ? $150 for one of those.
I believe a vibrato alto costs around 400punds, tho....

Last edited:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I for one think it is fantastically commendable that a small company in Thailand really innovates - Vibratosax are really trying new things and they address issues seen on previous iterations.
On one hand I can sorta agree with this. It is commendable on a certain level.

But I am not sure how much of an 'innovation' it is when you use key and body materials which cannot be conventionally serviced the way saxes usually need to be serviced. One can argue that this is the 'beauty' of the vibrato - it doesn't require that sort of tech servicing. But at least according to the review below, it hadn't gotten to the point where DIY adjusting was gonna do the trick.
The 'beauty' of brass and nickel is, it is strong enough to maintain its shape but flexible enough to be bent, and worked.

Here's a review from 7 years ago when their earlier iteration hit the market, it'd be interesting to know how much they have improved the design and construction since then:

Last edited:

Hackenbush

Buy a 'regular' tenor sax and buy a stand or two...the kinds which allow you to play standing or sitting while horn is secure on stand.
Fine for playing alone at home, not so good once you've reached the stage where you want to join the local community band (unless you're very thick-skinned).

Who wants to play an opaque plastic sax ? Not many people, really.
If it plays and sounds like a 'proper' sax and looks half-decent, I'd have no problem playing a plastic sax (but weight is a big issue for me).

Many professional clarinettists play plastic clarinets in conditions that would be harmful to their expensive wooden instruments.

You'd think that in 2020 there'd be some serious, professional quality non-metal saxes available for those that can't manage the weight of the standard instruments.

Hipparion

Put a chain of blinking colored led lights in the sax, and you're ready for Carnival ! :D

Have all the band set-up like that, and you can go hunt down all the epileptic people out there... >:)

@Hackenbush did you ever try a jazzlab sax holder ? With one the weight is distributed very differently (it's only on your shoulders)... and to be honest, I can't feel it anymore with mine.

Hackenbush

@Hipparion, I've tried the JazzLab device with alto saxes but it seems to force you to play with the instrument out in front rather than to one side (which I prefer).

To be honest, I find even the average alto sax unwieldy as I'm used to playing clarinet.

And if anyone suggests that I take up membership of a gym and/or follow a high-protein diet to build myself up, I'd sooner buy a Vibrato sax (with or without the LEDs).

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Fine for playing alone at home, not so good once you've reached the stage where you want to join the local community band (unless you're very thick-skinned).
Sorry I don't understand this. If you are playing in a band, in a sax section....you are seated, no ? So actually there's no difference if you are seated and playing your horn while it hangs from a strap vs. playing your horn while it is mounted on a stand.

I don't s get the 'thick skinned' thing here...a stand wouldn't take up much more space and I doubt it'd put anyone out. You'd have to be a kind of jerky band member to be bothered by a fellow member who is obviously doing this for comfort/health reasons....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom