PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cleaning my sax - am I over doing it?

craigmill

As a newbie to sax playing I'd appreciate any advice about cleaning and maintaining my alto sax. After every practice, whether a long or short session, I always do the following;

1. Remove the reed, carefully dry and place in its holder,
  2. Remove the mouthpiece, clean and dry and put in case,
  3. Clean the sax with the leather shammy pull through cleaner (a couple of times)
  4. Place the sax on a stand (or in its case) with a top stopper (or pad) to keep out dust.
The when I practice again I go through the motions of assembling and disassembling etc...which is not only time consuming but a real faff. Ideally, I'd just like to pick up the sax and practice/play.....!

So am I overdoing it, being too cautious etc? It's a new sax and I just adore the thing so I'm doing my best to look after it, but I think I'm going a step to far?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Go to the top of the class, I take my mouthpiece and reed off most of the time (sometimes I think I'll go back and don't) and rinse them, reed in holder if I can find it :) Sax may or may not see the pull through but it is left on the stand to dry

Jx

I have a scrap of old t-shirt to mop up the dribbles!

Maybe I'm alone in this, but quite often I will have a congregation of moisture elves that exit one or more tone holes, and in a bid for freedom, play snakes and ladders down the rods. Once outside and frightened they linger in a safe place where the key barrel and post are. Alas this is not there you want moisture, so out comes the old strip of t-shirt and the adventure ends.

Occasionally I use a very soft brush to sweep away the dust that collects in amongst the scaffolding.

I clean the neck each time after playing.
I use a HW padsaver (long fluffy mop) rather than a pull-through to dry the body, after a pull-through got stuck in my sax once.

If my sax is going into its case, then I dry it thoroughly.
Otherwise, I take the mouthpiece and reed off. Dry them both. Put the reed in its case and the mouthpiece into the mouthpiece tin, in the top drawer. Then. I leave all my saxes out on the stand all the time, under a dust over (a duvet cover that I cut and sewed down to size so it covers over all 4 saxes and clarinet at once)

I do the same as the OP. However, I also swab out the neck with a clarinet pull through. After that I use a HW padsaver which I push in and out of the body of the sax while holding down the LH and then RH keys. The padsaver is then removed and air-dried. Finally the sax is put back in its case with the lid open once the outside of the sax has been wiped down to remove fingerprints and water marks. I have many instruments: brass, strings, guitars, banjos etc and pride myself on keeping them in great condition. My son, on the other hand, says I spend more time polishing than playing, which is why I end up using a disproportional amount of my time repairing and refettling his more abused collection of instruments. The joys of parenthood and being retired!!

I do the same as the OP. However, I also swab out the neck with a clarinet pull through. After that I use a HW padsaver which I push in and out of the body of the sax while holding down the LH and then RH keys. The padsaver is then removed and air-dried. Finally the sax is put back in its case with the lid open once the outside of the sax has been wiped down to remove fingerprints and water marks. I have many instruments: brass, strings, guitars, banjos etc and pride myself on keeping them in great condition. My son, on the other hand, says I spend more time polishing than playing, which is why I end up using a disproportional amount of my time repairing and refettling his more abused collection of instruments. The joys of parenthood and being retired!!
I agree Saxmole, the maintenance is worth it. That's an amazing collection you have!

I agree with you lot..
Do very similar thing. If I am going to play again the same day but not for a few hours and am home. I still pull through and put the pad saver in while the horn is on the stand. (if I am out then pad savers go in anyway and back in the case always)
I don't put a pull through in my necks (mind you they are all fully plated inside and out so they dont really get/stay dirty), but I always stand my neck carefully on end on a table near the wall or case for the few mins it takes me to dismantle the mouthpiece/. reed and swab the horn and put in the pad saver to the sax body and put that down or away. During that short time any condensation had flowed out of the neck which I then shake out and then put in a neck saver to get remaining condensation.

The horn goes in the case if I am not planning to play more that day or over night.

so keep doing what you are doing !

Back
Top Bottom