Tutorials

classical music for kids

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I'm trying to collect a couple CD's worth of kiddie friendly classical music for my sproglet. I'm looking for stuff which (hm, how do I describe it...?) is lively & 'visual'. Pieces that we can spin a good story from on car journeys- in a Fantasia sort of way.
Any ideas? I'm no expert in classical repertoire....

chadders

Subscriber
These might fit the bill as well

Peter and the wolf - Prokofiev
Lieutenant Kije - Profofiev
The young persons guide to the orchestra - Benjamin Britten
The Hebrides - Mendelsohn
Carnival of the Animals - Saint Saens
Carmen Overture Bizet

Chad

jonf

But why?

Chadders' list is spot on, but I have to ask, why classical? My two like a bit of BBVD, Brian Setzer, Illinois Jaquet and Pete Thomas. A bit more lively for the adults.

Alternatively, if you just want to keep a kid subdued and content on a very long journey, there's nothing to beat an in car DVD player. Works for mine on the epic journey up to the frozen North to see my parents. They only cost about £100 these days as well.

losaavedra

There's quite a lot of Victor Borge on YouTube, both extremely funny and at the same time highly proficient. As a kid myself once (a very long time ago!) exposure to VB revealed to me the joy and potential humour of music ... not just something played by old people dressed in weird clothes. As a child I remember there was an LP of his that went through all the instruments of an orchestra in a humorous way. Brilliant stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Chadders' list is spot on, but I have to ask, why classical? My two like a bit of BBVD, Brian Setzer, Illinois Jaquet and Pete Thomas. A bit more lively for the adults.

Alternatively, if you just want to keep a kid subdued and content on a very long journey, there's nothing to beat an in car DVD player. Works for mine on the epic journey up to the frozen North to see my parents. They only cost about £100 these days as well.
Classical's a bit of an experiment- it seems to lend itself very well to being background soundtrack to spontanious story telling.
Mine's a big Skatelites & Manu Chao fan, plus has taken a liking to Moondog as well, but hates Tom Waits (hm...)
Cost £100- that's more than my car's worth!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (especially with Canons)
Mozart's Eine Kleine Nacht Musik.
There's a really good CD with Dame Edna Average doing Peter and the Wolf, Baba the Elephant and Britten's Young person's guide to the orchestra from Naxos (if it's still available).

littleplum

Johnny Dankworth

Hi

What about Johnny Dankworths 3 blind mice, I have been using it at school as he uses classical music for each of the characters. Its excellent and their is a nice bit of Dankworth clarinet playing at the end. See if they get all the puns.

Dave

old git

Tremendous Bore
Hi

What about Johnny Dankworths 3 blind mice, I have been using it at school as he uses classical music for each of the characters. Its excellent and their is a nice bit of Dankworth clarinet playing at the end. See if they get all the puns.

Dave
Excellent suggestion if that is the disc with the Sauter Finnegan reference but they are all probably too young.

tengu01

Classical music for kids...

I would second the "Peter adn teh Wolf" by Provokiev. In many versions, you can find someone narrating along with the music to tell the story of which animal is talking and what is happening. Lovely piece.

On the visual side, I don't think you can beat Disney's "Fantasia" as an introduction to some great classical masterpieces including "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Dukas.

Lastly, I have no idea whether they do them anymore but once upon a time, there was a series of Listen-As-You-Read abridged books from Ladybird for children such as Treasure Island and A Tale of Two Cities. For each of these, there were a number of classical pieces of music running underneath the story which somehow filter into your consciousness. Some of my favourite pieces were instilled that way

Anyway, hope that helps

Cheers

Pjonah

What about "Pictures at an Exhibition" - Modest Mussorgsky, "Symphonie Fantastique" Hector Protector, "Enigma Variations" - Eddy Elgar. Better Still try some classical saxophone quartet music, extremely lyrical French composers Like Jean Absil, Jean Francais, Eugene Bosa etc. Paints a magical picture in ones mind. A good starter would be "Petit Quatour pour Saxophone":sax:

Top Bottom