support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Clarinet serial numbers.

Alc.

I'm Old Newbie, and hope I'm not treading in the wrong site. I'm trying to determine the age of an old clarinet I've had since the early '50's. It's a Buffet Crampon C Paris, serial number 360 S. I have found several sites on Google with serial # lists, but still it's a tough search. Can anyone give me more leads. The old horn is in rough shape, but complete. Needs a ton of work, but then so do I.

I also have a Conn cornet and C Melody King White. Both likewise crumbling, but complete. Got those in late forties.

Last edited:
Buffet are not too easy to date. There used to be a specific search engine on the Buffet website, but I cannot find it.
http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffetES.htm
Is probably the best source online.

Alex Allen is a dealer in London specialized in old Buffet. Sadly the best authority on the subject, John Playfair, passed away last August. He is sorely missed.

You can have a rough idea about the age also from other elements:
Does it have a wrap-around speaker key?
One piece barrel/upper joint?
Any other indication under the Buffet logo?

I appreciate the response, Aldevis. Yes, the register key is wrap-around. One piece barrel/upper joint? It has mouthpiece, barrel, upper joint, lower joint, and bell. The Buffet Crampon C Paris imprint appears on the barrel, upper joint, lower joint, and bell. But beneath the imprint on the bell appears G. Fischer New York. I'll have a look at the link you provided. Thanks.

Al

I appreciate the response, Aldevis. Yes, the register key is wrap-around. One piece barrel/upper joint? It has mouthpiece, barrel, upper joint, lower joint, and bell. The Buffet Crampon C Paris imprint appears on the barrel, upper joint, lower joint, and bell. But beneath the imprint on the bell appears G. Fischer New York. I'll have a look at the link you provided. Thanks.

Al

Hello Al.C
It would not have a one piece or integrated barrel plus a spare barrel as would not fit so is likely to be a spare for something else., I have a buffet Integrated Barrel which dates to the turn of the century around C1895. it is four piece, Bell, two sections and mouthpiece. I had to have a major overhaul on mine. They are quite difficult to sell due to being preferred by those ensembles playing Bizet etc.

That would be C Fischer, Carl Fischer of New York, he did not make instruments but imported them and stencilled them under contract. Having said that, they are good clarinets, but do not play like any modern Buffet Clarinets.

Would you possibly have a photo? Or

Does it look like the one below:

Hope this helps!

1_f.jpg

2_f.jpg

Melissa, your clarinet has the mouthpiece fitting directly onto the top section. Mine has the mouthpiece fitting onto the barrel, which connects to top section, then to bottom section, then onto the bell. Thanks for taking the trouble. So far as I can ascertain, mine probably dates to mid-1920's. Naturally, I wanted it to be a gold-mine so I could somehow finagle a tenor or bari from the deal. Fat chance. I really appreciate the help, so thanks again. Now, back to practice with my $150.00 chinese noise-maker, which I am glad to have. Except now I have a cold-sore to complicate things!

Back
Top Bottom