All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Clarinets Clarinet GAS (or CAS) - Anyone ? I`m losing it

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
In the meantime I had a clarinet lesson ... extremely useful! I'll certainly take a few more, especially to relearn the clarinet embouchure and voicing.
I often think of doing the same. Not easy to find the right teacher that can understand a doubler's approach. (see my new article about hamilton)

OP
Ads

Ads

I could do with a few myself too if I can find a teacher in the area , a bit thin on the ground around here but at least possible

stitch

A very old thread I know, but I thought some people might be interested to know I've just acquired a Selmer metal Full Boehm plateau clarinet ... can't be many of those around!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
A very old thread I know, but I thought some people might be interested to know I've just acquired a Selmer metal Full Boehm plateau clarinet ... can't be many of those around!
We want pictures!

Pete Effamy

Very interesting. Only ever played a bad one. In theory, a metal clarinet should be superior to wood - quick to warm up and won't crack. I would also think that pulling out the barrel when sharp is superior too as the gap created inside the bore when pulling out the barrel creates intonation issues - this must be far less of a gap with metal. Presumably lighter too?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
No letter; what minimal research I've done suggests these were made in the later 1920s. Serial number is 53xx
This is really odd: I own a wooden Selmer serial 88xx, but has the old logo (the one that looks like a Buffet)
1920s makes sense
Does it have the same Selmer symbol on all parts?

stitch

This is really odd: I own a wooden Selmer serial 88xx, but has the old logo (the one that looks like a Buffet)
1920s makes sense
Does it have the same Selmer symbol on all parts?
Serial number lists suggest manufacture between 1929 and 1931, and while clarinetperfection states that the clarinet logo changed from the Buffet style in the 1930s, the sax version changed c1926, so perhaps all the metal instruments changed earlier.

What you need to go with this is the cool-looking Selmer metal clarinet mouthpiece - have a look at this: Selmer clarinet for sale
Actually ... I think that m/p looks odd!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Serial number lists suggest manufacture between 1929 and 1931, and while clarinetperfection states that the clarinet logo changed from the Buffet style in the 1930s, the sax version changed c1926, so perhaps all the metal instruments changed earlier.
It makes perfect sense. Thanks

jbtsax

Subscriber
Those separate pillars for throat notes puzzle me.
I assume what you are calling "pillars" are what we refer to as "posts" in the U.S. Notes commonly called "throat tones" are G, Ab, A, and Bb. That said, I am not sure what you mean by "separate pillars for throat notes". I am not seeing that in the photo or maybe I'm missing something. :)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I assume what you are calling "pillars" are what we refer to as "posts" in the U.S. Notes commonly called "throat tones" are G, Ab, A, and Bb. That said, I am not sure what you mean by "separate pillars for throat notes". I am not seeing that in the photo or maybe I'm missing something. :)
Throat Ab and A have two hinge rods (my vocabulary on the subject is quite rusty)
Older Selmers have a single post receiving both threaded ends, rather than a post per key

(I am struggling to find a picture online and my Old-Logo is abroad)

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom