support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets clarinet fingering question

adrianallan

I know this is not a clarinet players' forum, but does anybody know how to move quickly between a C# and a C natural, the ones just above the break, when you only have you right hand little finger at your disposal - as all the other fingers are on the tone holes.

It seems so unnatural to move the little finger quickly; in other instruments, a change of finger would be needed to accomplish speed, not a repeated finger.

thanks - a budding amateur clarinet player

I would play the C# with the left little finger and the C natural with the right. It can also be played the other way round and you should practice it both ways. You don't say why your left little finger is unavailable.

Jim.

My left hand little finger is available, but although I have big hands, there is no way it would stretch to the c or c# key where the right hand is normally positioned; I have my LH fingers 1, 2 and 3 covering tone holes.

Hi,

It sounds like you need to have a closer look at a fingering chart. There are C and C# keys for both right and left little fingers - on Boehm clarinets, at least.

This duplicated arrangement allows you to alternate little fingers as the passage dictates. No need for any awkward hand movements at all.

It's best to practice both combinations. Handy to be able to switch both depending on the preceding and following notes, especially if for example there's an E flat before or after.