PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Clarinet case recommendations?

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Not sure if this belongs here or in "Other Instruments"

Had a brief blow on the old clarinet tonight and have decided to get them serviced and start playing again. I reckon I've been playing sax long enough now not to confuse myself too much.

Thing is, the case is in a terrible state after lying around the house for 25 years or so. So I want to get a new case or cases before I get the instruments fixed up. They're quite decent instruments (pair of B&H Symphony 1010's I've had since about 1980), so I want something reasonably solid but don't want to spend silly money. I'm not sure whether to get a double case or two singles, as I'm not likely to be using the A clarinet much. Are there single cases for A clarinets? I'm hoping the wide bore of the 1010's shouldn't be too much of a problem but any advice on that would also be helpful.

Thanks, Martin

Not sure if this belongs here or in "Other Instruments"

Had a brief blow on the old clarinet tonight and have decided to get them serviced and start playing again. I reckon I've been playing sax long enough now not to confuse myself too much.

Thing is, the case is in a terrible state after lying around the house for 25 years or so. So I want to get a new case or cases before I get the instruments fixed up. They're quite decent instruments (pair of B&H Symphony 1010's I've had since about 1980), so I want something reasonably solid but don't want to spend silly money. I'm not sure whether to get a double case or two singles, as I'm not likely to be using the A clarinet much. Are there single cases for A clarinets? I'm hoping the wide bore of the 1010's shouldn't be too much of a problem but any advice on that would also be helpful.

Thanks, Martin

Symphony 1010s are pretty good clarinets. I wouldn't think the wider bore would be a problem. Dawkes do a wide range, including doubles and a single A case.

If you find anything good I'd be interested to hear, the case my new Yamaha came in is very nice but tiny, barely any room for even a few reeds let alone a change of mouthpiece or barrel.

I've been very pleased with a W. Schreiber case I picked up to replace the battered old thing I was using. Vinyl covered wood with a full length slot for all the bits and pieces. Disappointed faces when I whip out an old plastic Bundy lol. If your old cases are still solid but just tatty it might be possible to recover them.

Something like Colin's would be perfect and cool loking.
I would recommend the cheapest double and a decent single case.
But I use a softish "bass bag" that fits in my rucksack, for my gigging clarinet. Protec or buffet for my good one.
I just realized that protec are gone too expensive. I am sure that any basic new case would be great.

1010s are wonderful instruments, by the way.

Thanks for the tips, everyone Just ordered a Protec PB307D double case. 115 euros from Thomann (inc delivery). Will let you know how i get on with it. I'll worry about a single case if/when I start gigging on clarinet.
If your old cases are still solid but just tatty it might be possible to recover them.
Sadly, no. Insides falling apart and none too pleasant-smelling.
1010s are wonderful instruments, by the way.
I'm rather fond of mine, even if I have neglected them for so long

Last edited:
It's in Köln now.

I'm not boring you, am I?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Jay
No BigMartin!!! Don't stop! I like to trace a package as well....!
    1. upload_2015-2-21_10-3-23.jpeg
  1. Kitzingen
    Town in Germany
  2. Kitzingen is a town in the German state of Bavaria, capital of the district Kitzingen. It is part of the Franconia geographical region and has around 21,000 inhabitants. Wikipedia
  3. Area: 46.99 km²
  4. Weather: 8°C, Wind SW at 18 mph (29 km/h), 66% Humidity
  5. Local time: Saturday 11:02
  6. Population: 20,836 (Dec 31, 2008)

• upload_2015-2-21_10-12-25.jpeg

1. Cologne
    City in Germany
  2. Cologne is Germany's fourth-largest city, and is the largest city both in the German Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia and within the Rhine-Ruhr Metropolitan Area, one of the major European ... Wikipedia
  3. Area: 405.2 km²
  4. Founded: 38 BC
  5. Weather: 4°C, Wind SW at 7 mph (11 km/h), 82% Humidity
  6. Local time: Saturday 11:12
  7. Population: 1.017 million (2012) UNdata
  8. Points of interest
    upload_2015-2-21_10-12-25.jpeg
    upload_2015-2-21_10-12-25.jpeg

"Received in destination country". Let's hope that's the UK then, shall we?

(edit: Coventry, apparently. It's OK, Prof, I already know what Coventry looks like)

"Received in destination country". Let's hope that's the UK then, shall we?

(edit: Coventry, apparently. It's OK, Prof, I already know what Coventry looks like)
Leave it to me BigMart...! I am in my car now and have camera in hand........heading up the M40

Parcel force NW processing centre, which is in Chorley, I believe. Should be here tomorrow then.