support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Has anyone played a clarineo?

ilovebech

I know you can buy a decent student clarinet with standard keywork,for less than the price of this instrument, but I wondered if anyone has played it?

Not me, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has. They are stocked by Jonathan Myalls - Griff, if you're not away dealing with naughty pirates, did you ever play one when you worked there?

They can be bought for about £112, so about the same as the cheapest student clari. On Amazon there're three reviews, two very positive, one (barely literate) very negative.

Marketed at kids from 6-7 years and up. However, my daughter could manage a full sized clari from the age of 9, so really you'd be buying for a couple of years' use. Personally I'd be attracted just by the novelty, but then I guess that just explains why I've got a house full of musical instruments.

Not me, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has. They are stocked by Jonathan Myalls - Griff, if you're not away dealing with naughty pirates, did you ever play one when you worked there?

They can be bought for about £112, so about the same as the cheapest student clari. On Amazon there're three reviews, two very positive, one (barely literate) very negative.

Marketed at kids from 6-7 years and up. However, my daughter could manage a full sized clari from the age of 9, so really you'd be buying for a couple of years' use. Personally I'd be attracted just by the novelty, but then I guess that just explains why I've got a house full of musical instruments.

The Clarineo is an updated version of the Lyons clarinet and I have indeed played one or two of them - ideal for a child beginner but obviously not as robust as a decently made student clarinet. I say decently made because you can get a cheaper clarinet, that looks great and plays very well and in tune, however some clarinets' keywork is very soft and can easily bend when the instrument is being put together- particularly if the person assembling it has not been shown how to do itcorrectly .

Playing wise the Clarineo is very capable of a good tone, because of its lightness it does feel to me a tad flimsy.

My advice to anyone interested in considering a clarineo would be to get to a decent music shop that stocks them, give it a test play and if at all possible, take your teacher along for advise.

The only advantage of having a Clarineo over a half decent student clarinet IMHO is weight.

You can find a decent 2nd hand Buffet B12 or Yamaha 24II for under the price of one of these.

What is the mouthpiece like,and what reed does it take,please Griff.These are supposed to be an improvement on the earlier version.

The supplied mouthpiece is what you would expect for a beginner to learn on - its actually an Eb clarinet mouthpiece - so any standard Eb mouthpiece will fit along with the Eb reeds. The ligature has a cam for quick fitting and release. What I didn't mention in my earlier post is that the instrument is keyed in C.

I did know about the key,the main reason I was interested was the fact that it was the only way to get a C clarinet without a re-mortgage.

A friend of mine bought a C clarinet from John Packer and it was not expensive. He uses it to play violin parts with a string quartet, just for fun. His regular clarinets are Buffet R13s and Selmers. He has no complaints about the JP.

Jim.

John Packer does have its own branded resin C clarinet and at under 200 quid its still reasonable in my book! Jonathan Myall AKA just flutes (dont let the name throw you - they sell all woodwind and brass) also sell the JP range and have one on their website.www.justflutes.com.

Is the tone of a C clarinet a little less rich than a Bb clarinet - and is that why they've never really caught on, despite their obvious advantage to play at concert pitch?

A lot of the kids around here start on them, cos their hands won't quite stretch to a Bb. They always sound harsh to me, compared to the Bb, even in the hands of a more experienced player.

Not too many clarinet parts written for a C, so you're back to transposing....

A lot of the kids around here start on them, cos their hands won't quite stretch to a Bb. They always sound harsh to me, compared to the Bb, even in the hands of a more experienced player.

Not too many clarinet parts written for a C, so you're back to transposing....

But the major advantage is that you can pick up any piece of sheet music and play with non-clarinet playing friends without needing to transpose up from Bb.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom