Jazz Clapping on one and three

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
HAHAHAHA, what a find!

Almost every person in French audiences does this. I start every tune clapping on 2 and four to lead the way, but one verse in they're on one and three! Funny thing is, I am working on a song right now in this genre, called "My Baby Snores".

Last edited:
OP
aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Personally I think that people ought to clap on beats 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Leaving out beats is just plain lazy.

If the piece is slow, for example a ballad, then clapping on half-beats should be encouraged.

But under no circumstances is clapping on quarter-beats permissible.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
That transition was so subtle and seamless, I played it back several times to figure out how it was done. Did the piano player add a beat, or did he lose a beat? I can't really tell.
Edited:
As far as I can tell, he plays a 5-beat bar.

Last edited:

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
I don't know if any of you have marched or been in the military, but there's a trick when you're out of step. You skip and it inverses right and left legs., putting you back in step.

Last edited:

Jazzaferri

I'm with adding a beat.

And then there are those that do the double clap on 2 and 1 clap on four. Its a bit odd when it doesn't quite match the feel of the piece.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
He looks relieved when they both stop at the same time.
Reich mentions at the very end that the guy on the left only had one rehearsal, so he probably was :)

I think with these pieces, there is no defined length for each sequence of clapping. The guy on the left nods his head to signal a change is coming. It's the same with Reich's longer pieces. Earlier in the Year I saw The London Sinfonietta perform this and a couple more Reich pieces, including Music For 18 Musicians. The Band Leader used the same technique to indicate a change was a gonna come..(there was no clapping along during that performance, thankfully...)

OP
aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I'm with adding a beat.

And then there are those that do the double clap on 2 and 1 clap on four. Its a bit odd when it doesn't quite match the feel of the piece.
There are drummers like that: they can only play "tun dadatun dah" but they are spread around a variety of genres

Dibbs

That transition was so subtle and seamless, I played it back several times to figure out how it was done. Did the piano player add a beat, or did he lose a beat? I can't really tell.
He adds a beat. The left hand is silent for a beat and then resumes the pattern from the start.

Top Bottom